1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rev. Wright's church responds--this is really funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This from ABC news.com

Obama's Church Blames Media
    March 16, 2008 4:41 PM

This is the full response from Sen. Barack Obama's church, Trinity United Church of Christ, to the media coverage of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's more inflammatory comments.

“AN ATTACK ON OUR SENIOR PASTOR AND THE HISTORY OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN CHURCH”:

Chicago, Ill. (March 15, 2008) — Nearly three weeks before the 40th commemorative anniversary of the murder of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Reverend Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.’s character is being assassinated in the public sphere because he has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe.

“Dr. Wright has preached 207,792 minutes on Sunday for the past 36 years at Trinity United Church of Christ. This does not include weekday worship services, revivals and preaching engagements across America and around the globe, to ecumenical and interfaith communities. It is an indictment on Dr. Wright’s ministerial legacy to present his global ministry within a 15- or 30-second sound bite,” said the Reverend Otis Moss III, pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ."

Wow ... so a few 15 or 30 second sound bites out of 207,792 minutes reaching in 36 years shouldn't be "an indictment on Dr. Wright's ministerial legacy?"

Tell that to Don Imus
    And to Jimmy the Greek
    And to Kelly Tilghman
    And to Al Campanis
    And to anyone else who had to quit their job, got fired or were otherwise disciplined for one remark in their body of work.

Sorry...I'm calling bullshit on Rev. Moss.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Gotta say, I don't know that I care for the lede.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thank you... I forgot to make that point. Don't know if equating the killing of MLK with Rev. Wright getting a little heat for some pretty whacked-out sermons is on the same level. To quote Samuel L. Jackson "It aint even in the same fucking ballpark."

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

There is no ballpark, and the team has relocated.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

commemorative anniversary of an assassination??!?!?!

Are there bobblehead dolls too?

Dumbest lede in the history of mankind.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That lede really is awesomely bad.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

When McCain cuts Hagee loose, be sure to let us know.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh, but what we do - telling compelling stories and conveying interesting thoughts using the written word - is just SO fucking easy. Right? Anyone can do it.

Apparently not.

That letter's beginning (is it a lede?) is horrendous.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

but whatever. i'm glad we're discussing the REAL issues.

(if america lets the election be dominated by this crap, then we have failed as a nation. end of story.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, he needs to, but we weren't talking about that. As they say, nice try. I don't recall anyone from Hagee's church comparing his getting criticism on the same level as the assassination of King and while Hagee doesn't like homosexuals, I don't think he was conjuring up dark government conspiracies.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Plenty of room for many things to be discussed in March of an election year, when we're between primaries and one party is just lying in wait for the other to finish choosing a candidate.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you don't mind that a presidential candidate's spiritual advisor and close mentor (Obama's words in the past) thinks:

The U.S. government spread the aids virus into the African American community.
    We brought 9-11 on ourselves and pretty much deserved it.
    Instead of saying God Bless America, we should say God Damn America.

Just checking.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted