1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Rebels Take Tripoli's Green Sq...Fireworks Celebrations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 21, 2011.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: Reuters: Rebels Take Tripoli's Green Sq...Celebrations --Ghaddafi Son Arrested

MSNBC has been live on it since around 8:30-8:45.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Reuters: Rebels Take Tripoli's Green Sq...Celebrations --Ghaddafi Son Arrested

Ah. Guess it had been a while since I checked.

They'd been in taped programming all day, it hardly seemed worth checking.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just go with AP. Gadhafi.

But if he's killed, you can start it with a "K."

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So when do we get the Lockerbie bomber back?

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You're not going to see it, if for no other reason than it doesn't fit the established narrative, one that Republicans have spent decades building (with help from the inept Democrats).

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

AlJazeera goes with a G, but two Ds, so it's Gaddafi for them.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Half listening to CNN, every time they mention the TNC I think they are saying TMZ.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Democrats crash helicopters in deserts (Iran, Somalia, Pakistan...).

I'm sure that's on a talking point memo somewhere...

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Will be interested to see if Obama now moves to the front seat to try and grab some credit.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not if he's smart, Boom. As we saw in Iraq in 2003, the dictator's fall can mean the real trouble is just starting.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

There's a big difference between what has happened in the Arab spring and what has happened in past regime changes.

The anti-American sentiment is based largely on the U.S. as an imperial power, going back to the Shah in the 1950s. These revolutions have been largely organic and hardly orchestrated -- if assisted -- by the U.S. and NATO. So I don't necessarily think what follows will be something with a decided anti-American slant. There's little traction for that right now.

Having said that, who knows how the dust will eventually settle in Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia and elsewhere.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You must not follow the same Twitter feeds that I do.

There is still a lot of anti-American rhetoric out there.

That said, I'm still optimistic, but it is out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted