1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Landis fails doping test

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hungryhungryhippo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Trounced just logged off so he could log back on as Lyman and then agree with himself. :D

2. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Not to jack a thread that is surely about to turn political, but this makes me wonder: If Landis DID cheat, is there anyone who isn't cheating in cycling?

Whether it's doping, EPO, testosterone, whatever, at what point do we just assume that they are all doing it?

I mean, if Lance didn't cheat, it appears that last year he bested the best cyclists in the world who were likely cheating. It's hard to pass that sniff test. Either he cheated like virtually everyone else or he is the greatest athlete of any generation in any sport.

That's, unfortunately, what it's starting to feel like.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Trounced, you're right. It does call his character into question. It does not, in any way, shape or form, prove he cheated at cycling. Maybe he loves cycling more than he loved his wife. Whatever, you can't make that leap that one proves the other.

As for whether Armstrong really did cheat, well, the  European press has had a jones for him for years and has been unable to prove it. And Armstrong while he was still racing was the most tested athlete in the world and never had a positive. So we're to believe he cheated based on what someone may or may not have heard in a hospital room after, it should be pointed out, he just had a nut and part of his brain removed? I mean, he could have said anything, given the medications and trauma he was under at the time. Sorry, but that's pretty shaky.

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

You caught me, Inspector Clouseau.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It amazes me that this thread has gotten trolled while the thread on legalizing marijuana hasn't. I guess the trollers really know where to find the hot fishing holes. Either that or they're honoring "Insult-free discussion" tag on that thread.

Perhaps we should start a "Landis tests positive: An insult-free discussion" thread.

6. It makes total logical sense. Substitute "cheating at cards" or "cheating at golf" for "cheating on your wife" and you'd nod your head in agreement. But because apparently holy rollers are the only ones who don't cheat on their wives in your world, you can't accept that.

Or am I making an assumption, like those who are crucifiying trounced for what he wrote?

7. Bingo.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Re: Reuters: Landis has positive doping test?

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

I didn't make the leap. Someone else made it for me. I'm just more quick to question him because he did cheat on his wife. I just find it interesting that people assume the best in Armstrong because they seem to like him. If people didn't like him he'd be crucified for being a cheater. I don't know if he cheated or not. I remain skeptical.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

1.  With all the science and experts and masking agents out there...how fucking STOOPID would you have to be to actually get caught doing this, KNOWING the scrutiny the sport is under??

2.  While I agree with Mizzou's assertion that people don't want to get bad news about Lance, there's not a chance that any journalist would sit on the story if he or she had proof.*

(*  With the exception of one or two. Unfortunately, those are the same one or two who would be the first to know...so never mind, I guess.)

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well then let's get this thread back on track. What is the real impact of this on cycling as a sport if it turns out to be true? And what kind of tests can they institute to catch those who've managed to escape (if we're convinced they really did dope)?

And the argument someone else made about Lance besting the rest of a field that many believe was doping was actually the best argument I've heard for accusing Lance.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Sorry if someone posted this and I missed it, but I just heard something interesting on ESPN. Apparently, every athlete to appeal the failed test has been cleared. Weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted