1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Landis fails doping test

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hungryhungryhippo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK. Let's open the floor to every conservative and Republican who has EVER cheated on their spouse. 10-to-1 at least half of them are people trounced has cited as credible people.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

They may or may not be credible. It does call their character into question.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I've got to give the guy credit. If it's my call, I might have let him off the hook just for coming up with that story. Made for a great Real Sports episode.

As for Landis, it will be interesting to see how this story breaks. What happens to him if the B sample proves negative? Will anyone believe he's clean or will his Tour win always be tainted?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Tainted forever, even if vindicated.

It'd be much like the person wrongfully accused of being a child molester. That label is almost impossible to remove and haunts a person forever.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

trounced --
    I'll try to explain this to you.

Your argument, as you wrote it:

Lance Armstrong cheated on his wife; therefore
    Lance Armstrong cheated at cycling.

You're making the classic blunder of skipping the second part of the argument. It should read:

Lance Armstrong cheated on his wife; and
    All men who cheat on their wives cheat at sports; therefore
    Lance Armstrong cheated at cycling.

Since you have no possibility of proving part B and it is not an accepted fact, your argument fails.

Try again.

6. trounced

trounced Active Member

This is what I presented. "He cheated on his wife. Why wouldn't he cheat at cycling?" That differs greatly from what you just wrote.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you Zeke. Much more eloquent than my next post would have been, because it was going to be somewhere along the lines of "...every Republican in the last 15 years therefore is a cheater and should immediately be removed from office."

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then go ahead and offer your proof that hose who have sex with people other than their spouses are more likely to cheat at athletic competitions.

Or STFU. You've been owned.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

No it doesn't. Christ, you can't even backtrack with any intelligence. You are making PRECISELY the point that zeke outlined. There have been many, many, many athletes who have cheated on their wives. Should we then assume that they've taken steroids too? That list would be pretty amusing, and yet by your unbelievably horrible logic, it would be a perfect one. Lance hasn't been caught, but he MUST have cheated, right? The hilarious part here is that you sound like you'd fit in just fine with the french.

As for Landis, why don't we at least wait until the second test comes back before we convict, eh Mizzou? Cheee-rist.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agree on waiting for the second test but why the announcement/suspension before it comes back?

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

I was owned because he misrepresented what I wrote? If someone can cheat on a spouse it calls into question their character. I never said that every person who cheated on their spouse has cheated at a game or race. I just think they should face more scrutiny because they have shown that they are not above cheating.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can we take up a collection and enrol Trounced in a course in deductive logic?

This is like, high school level stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted