1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return of the Goose?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 21, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

No, Gossage hasn't announced a come-back. The way the Over-rated/Under-rated thread was going, I felt this needed to be a thread all to its own: will we ever see the return on a multi-inning closer? And not just a guy that comes in for the last four or five outs, but someone that can consistently last two or three full innings and pick up the save? Given that we're in the age of babying pitchers and closely monitoring work-loads, I think not, but I sure as hell would love to see it happen.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

David Weathers has entered in the eighth on several occasions to protect a lead. Reds fans await Stormy entering in the 7th to hold leads.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd be interested in seeing a return not to multi-inning closers, but to "firemen" -- that is, put in your best non-starting pitcher when he is needed most, to put out the fire. Whether it be a bases-loaded situation in the 7th or to close it out in the 9th. Or maybe when your starter is faltering in the 5th and you need to slam the door for a couple innings.

I wouldn't mind giving official scorers a little arbitrary discretion on awarding saves, and giving them out for this type of performance rather than the "cheap" saves that so many people like to hold against Hoffman and Rivera, as if that somehow dilutes their dominance on the mound for the last decade.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhhhh. I thought Top Gun 2 was finally in production.

Draft saved Draft deleted