1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retreading Ground: The Best Coen Brothers Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the Coens have more misses than Fincher, but I think both are tremendous filmmakers.

2. Mizzougrad96

If I had to list my 20 favorite movies, Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac, No Country for Old Men and Miller's Crossing would all definitely be there.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right, and part of that comes with taking more chances.

4. Mizzougrad96

I don't disagree. I don't think I would say that Fincher plays it safe, but at least he didn't make Burn After Reading... :D

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This. His credits: Following, Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Inception. That's it. Where's the miss?

6. Dick Whitman

"Inception" is bad, and history will not judge it kindly.

"Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" are well-done comic book fare, but they are comic book fare nonetheless.

Nolan started off making films, then decided to make blockbusters instead.

The Coens make films.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I didn't realize blockbusters weren't films. I suppose Ryan Reynolds isn't a movie star, either.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You mean besides "The Prestige" and "Insomnia?"

9. Dick Whitman

Sorry, but the idea that Christopher Nolan in any way is on par with the Coen Brothers or Fincher is just laughable. He could have been. Maybe. He went another way. We all make our choices.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not laughable; it's another view of the industry. I'd suppose that, in your mind, Steven Spielberg isn't on the same level as Stanley Kubrick.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Nolan is in the same class as Fincher or the Coens, but let's not make it sound like he's sold himself out and is making Transformer movies.

12. Dick Whitman

A view in which commerce > art.

Spielberg was/is an innovator. He basically invented the summer blockbuster. What did Nolan innovate?

Draft saved Draft deleted