1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retreading Ground: The Best Coen Brothers Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Raising Arizona and Fargo are the top two for me.

So many great lines in Raising Arizona. One from memory from Goodman (that I hope I'm not butchering)

"I know you're partial to convenience stores, H I, but the sun don't rise and set on the corner grocery"

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Blood Simple
    Fargo
    Raising Arizona

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

1. Fargo
    2. O'Brother
    3. Barton Fink
    4. Miller's Crossing
    5. Lebowski
    6. Simple Man
    7. Hudsucker (am I the only person in the world that likes this film?)

Somehow haven't seen No Country (2 small kids and I work too much I guess). Never liked Raising Arizona for some reason. Can't sit through the whole thing.

4. joe

joe Active Member

I'll give you Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Wild At Heart (as someone else mentioned), Matchstick Men and even Vampire's Kiss, but the rest might as well be remakes of Zandalee. I expect his next movie to be "Ghost Rider Treasure Hunter Gone from the Theater in 60 Seconds."

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The beauty of the Coen Brothers' movies is that any one of them can be No. 1 depending on what mood you're in. The only current director in their league as far as versatility of style is Steven Soderbergh.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. No Country For Old Men
    2. Miller's Crossing
    3. Fargo
    4. Blood Simple
    5. Raising Arizona

Worst: Intolerable Cruelty

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"800 leaf tables and no chairs? You can't sell leaf tables and no chairs. Chairs you got a dinette set, no chairs you got dick! I ask my wife, she got more sense."

1. Raising Arizona
    2. The Big Lebowski
    3. Blood Simple
    4. Barton Fink
    5. Fargo

Don't know how many times I've seen Raising Arizona, but I suspect it's approaching double digits.

I need to give Miller's Crossing another chance. Saw it years ago and it just didn't connect, for whatever reason.

Agreed with Intolerable Cruelty as the worst. It might have been OK from another director, but I expect a hell of a lot more from the Coen Brothers.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"The Ladykillers"?

"The Man Who Wasn't There"?

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Man Who Wasn't There is criminally underrated.

I can't rank them. I love them all.

In the top tier, though:

NCFOM
    Lebowski
    Fargo
    Miller's Crossing

Just below:

O, Brother
    Barton Fink
    True Grit
    Man Who Wasn't There
    Raising Arizona

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Coen Bros. movies because they are interesting, first and foremost. They splice genres, they write great dialogue and seem to pay attention to all aspects to a film, the setting, music, the look.
    But I can't say I've ever been totally blown away by one of their movies, more just an appreciation to their craft and creativity.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not a Nic Cage fan by any stretch, but his performance in Leaving Las Vegas was unbelievable.

No Country for Old Men is a great, great movie.

The Big Lebowski is a cult classic.

I generally like Malkovich, Brad Pitt and George Clooney, but Burn After Reading.......I don't know. Just didn't do it for me.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Burn After Reading was beyond awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted