1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retreading Ground: The Best Coen Brothers Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Tarantino was really good, but has cooled tremendously. I think he's getting progressively worse with each film he makes.
    The Coens' i think are scatter shot; some good, some real good and some ... well, not.
    Soderbergh is just weird. Weird artsy stuff ... Bubble? WTF?

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

not to go off on a tangent, but my defense of nicolas cage:

1. Face/Off
    2. Leaving Las Vegas
    3. Adaptation
    4. Peggy Sue Got Married
    5. The Weather Man
    6. Honeymoon in Vegas
    7. Valley Girl

In addition to Raising Arizona. Granted, he's made an awful lot of terrible movies. But his top-eight list is pretty darn strong.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Marlon Brando laughs and laughs and laughs.

Also, to cite Cage in 'Face/Off' but not 'Wild at Heart' or 'Moonstruck' is nuts.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Brando's career tops against Cage's are like comparing Secretariat's to some minor stakes winner's . . . especially considering Cage's most recent passel of sheer hack work.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Az refers to the mention of "Leaving Las Vegas" as the greatest acting performance in the history of film.

To me there are two:

(1) Brando in "On the Waterfront."
    (1a) DeNiro in "Raging Bull," with him actually, at one point, reciting verbatim Brando's famous speech from "On the Waterfront."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus Nic Cage is a vampire, so he's had centuries to hone his craft.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has this been discussed on here yet? I almost started a thread on it the other day but was afraid I would get murdered for it. I kept hoping someone else would.

8. I go back and forth on Fargo and No Country as my favorite (a full-sized Fargo poster of the aforementioned shot of Buscemi/snow/fence/briefcase hangs next to me as a write this!) Probably Fargo, then No Country, which turned me on to Cormac McCarthy's works.

After those two, there's an obvious drop off. Probably Lebowski, Arizona, Barton Fink and Hudsucker. Miller's Crossing has one of my favorite lines from a flick: "Nobody knows anybody. Not that well." Need to watch most of these again to properly rank.

As of late, really liked True Grit - Hailee Steinfeld's acting is great - thought she should have won the Oscar! Also enjoyed A Serious Man (sort of about their father?) and Burn After Reading, which I also thought was hilarious.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A Serious Man is great. Destined to be the Coens most underrated movie, because of lack of stars and its degree of ambiguity. but in its way its perfect

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed every Coen Brothers film on some level but my hands down favourite is "O Brother Where Art Thou". It's exactly my kind of humour with so many quotable lines I lost count. "Big Lebowski" is probably second for me. Among the dramas, I think "True Grit" is the one I'm most likely to rewatch.

And for the record, I enjoyed "The Hudsucker Proxy".

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. Go ahead.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pick Goodman over Jeff Bridges in Lebowski.

Draft saved Draft deleted