1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retreading Ground: The Best Coen Brothers Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

...is NOT "Intolerable Cruelty."

Yeah, we've gone over the subject before but by God, I just saw this movie and won't clutter up the movie thread by mentioning it. Definitely a bottom feeder.

I might still have to go with "Raising Arizona," but "O Brother Where Art Thou" is close. I've only seen "Brother" once, though. And I still haven't bought "True Grit."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love "Barton Fink." That's probably my favorite.

I think that "Miller's Crossing" is "Goodfellas"-level atmospherically - I mean, obviously there are significant stylistic differences, but in their own way, the Coens capture gangster culture in that era as well as Scorsese did for the '50s - although the plot is somewhat convoluted and tough to follow.

I'd probably go:

1. Barton Fink
    2. Fargo
    3. No Country for Old Men
    4. Miller's Crossing
    5. A Serious Man

I know No. 5 is not likely to be a popular choice, but I really, really thought it was outstanding. If this thread had been started a different day, or hell, an hour from now, I might have picked a different fifth. But I broke the tie by picking one that I thought might be unlikely to get as much love here.

Obviously I like their more serious stuff than the comedies, which I also think are wonderful, but just personal taste I like serious films more.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I agree Raising Arizona is still the Coen Brothers' finest moment followed by Fargo and Big Lebowski (which may seem overhyped but when I first saw it in college in the theater, I really loved it). Blood Simple is strong too. I didn't care for True Grit at all as it seemed to waste a lot of great actors.

4. Dick Whitman

The cool thing about "True Grit" is that it is one of the few remakes that is leaps and bounds better than the original. I think that the Coens saw a great film in there and worked very hard to bring it out.

5. Dick Whitman

One of my favorite movie moments of all time: "Well, which is it young feller? Do you want us to freeze? Or do you want us to lie down?"

6. Having never seen Barton Fink ... I will say Raising Arizona is NO-Contest No 1 IMO.

1. Raising Arizona.
    2. No Company for Old Men
    3. True Grit
    4. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.
    5. The Big Lebowski.

Though I to admit, aside from my top three, I am pretty lukewarm about their films.
    I saw Miller's Crossing when I was 18, 19, 20 and didn't think it was that great.
    Fargo, was just unfunny. I get it, everybody in Minnesota/North Dakota talks funny.

7. Dick Whitman

Do you like "Black Swan" and/or "Mulholland Drive"?

8. Have no seen Black Swan and don't plan too. No interest.

Mulholland Drive I saw when it came out and was lukewarm about it as well.

9. Dick Whitman

OK, then you might not love "Barton Fink," either. It's got that dream-like weirdness going on, as well. You can follow it better than "Mulholland Drive," and it's lighter most of the way than "Black Swan" (which I recognize you haven't seen), but it certainly shares a lot of DNA with those types of films.

10. maberger

maberger Member

1. No Country For Old Men
    2. Miller's Crossing
    3. Fargo

(no one likes The Hudsucker Proxy?)

11. The only reason I would be drawn to it would be John Turturro. I think he's a great actor, on an Edward Norton scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted