1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retractable-roof stadium in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Indy gets the men's or women's Final Four every five years and more subregionals and regionals will be played there. The NCAA convention also goes to Indianapolis every five years.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I know this would never, ever happen, but wouldn't it be great to have a Final Four played in an open dome? You know, if you could find a 70-degree night?

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

And if it rains? Do you postpone the two games on Saturday night? I dunno, but it seems like the NCAA wants as much exposure as it can get and that comes on a Saturday night, not a Sunday afternoon.

4. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

there is nothing more pathetic than native indianans still whining about class basketball. well, maybe the whining over daylight savings time. indianans should spend more time whining about the disintegrating quality of their public schools, but no, they spend that time peeing their fucking panties over class basketball. what a state.

get over yourselves.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You close the dome if there's even a chance of that. I'm just saying it would be cool to see open-air basketball like we all used to play on the playground.

Even better: A Penguins game at Melon Arena with the roof opened.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Didn't the '84 Olympic team play a team of NBA All-Stars in an exhibition at the then-Hoosier Dome with the seating configuration like that in the picture above?

I remember one basketball game there where the attendance was huge. I think that was it.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Since the threadjack occurred ...

1. Our public schools are just fine. I can honestly tell you that what we're offering our students today is much more rigorous than what we were offering them 15 years ago when I was a student.
    2. I'm not just some Hoosier schmuck who happens to whine about class basketball. I'm also a Hoosier schmuck who is a basketball coach that will have to spend an hour on a bus sparsely-attended basketball tournament game Tuesday night, leading to seven weeks of sparsely-attended basketball tournament games (when, 15 years ago, the drive would've been 15 minutes, every team in the opening round would be a rival instead of a team from two counties away and the crowd would've been huge).

DST was a fine idea. But class basketball (and the way it was created -- including the decision to go to 4 classes instead of a more-sensible number, like 2) was stupid. I could pontificate and give rational arguments, but I can save it for a PM. I spent many inches in columns pointing out its stupidity when I was a reporter/SE, and I'll spend time continuing to point out its stupidity about it now that I'm actually a HS basketball coach :).

8. Someone who uses Indianans is pretty pathetic ... especially when s/he is cracking on an issue immortalized by the movie HOOSIERS ::)

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wow.

Nice Pull.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Didn't they configure the Superdome to use the entire stadium instead of just part of it a few years ago?

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It looks like there might be some slope down to the court. Even if it doesn't, I'd rather have a seat pointed in the right direction than one in a 400 level behind the portable stands.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Superdome has used just part of the facility, with the court where one end zone would go, for all of the Final Fours played there.

Draft saved Draft deleted