1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retiring as a/an _________ has officially jumped the shark!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Jeff Nelson -- Jeff freakin' Nelson -- has announced that he signed a minor-league contract with New York so he could retire as a Yankee.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-nelsonretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wow, I bet they're clearing out space in Monument Park for his likeness.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Initially I thought they signed him to help with the bullpen.
    I will say it is mildly annoying, but it is pretty rare in MLB. I just thought it was funny because he obviously still hates the Mariners.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What does it hurt? It's just a sentimental thing for the player. No one is throwing him a party or anything.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem with it.

I mean, how would Rice look in the Hall wearing a Raiders jersey?

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'd like to see this extended to sportswriters ... Peter Gammons should go back to the Globe for one column before he retires.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And for many Mariner fans the feeling is mutual.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why does he hate the Mariners? Isn't he from Seattle? And didn't he gush about the Mariners when he went back there after his first tour with the Yankees? And didn't he blast the Yankees on his way out the door the first time?

Point being Jeff Nelson blabs a lot and napalms bridges. Hard to take anything he says seriously.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nelson grew up near Baltimore.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, I meant doesn't he live in Seattle?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm waiting for the day when some team screws up the paperwork and actually signs the guy, going over the roster limit.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think to do it, you should actually have to appear in a game. Exhibition game, OK, but you should at least put the uniform on one more time.

Draft saved Draft deleted