1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retirement?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bstnmarthn354, Jan 2, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Congrats to all you guys retiring! And gals!

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You work at 24 Hour Fitness?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats on your retirement. If you don't mind, what was the story behind your 8-hour job?

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Retirement is great.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Congrats!
    (Gotta be Gannett.)

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Congratulations, retirees. I envy you.

I tell my girlfriend that when she finishes her school (she's doing her PhD, perverts) and gets a job that I'm never doing another fucking thing, and she laughs and rolls her eyes but I'm being totally serious. I have a little less than four years to go.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I can't imagine anything wilder than retirement.
    Doing nothing, and not getting around to that until noon.
    Always so pleased for the people I know that head into it.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think I could possibly do nothing. I have never done leisure well. I have been on vacation for the last two weeks in a completely different time zone, and I still have found quite a bit of time to work. I really don't have to be working, and the time difference makes it harder. I really want to work until I have a foot in the grave. My goal, though, is to be working solely because I want to, not because I have to. THAT makes all the difference in the world. I hope to be going under those terms until I am at least 95.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My gig has this cool thing where during retirement, you can work X hours (I think it comes to about 20 a week) without affecting your pension. Pick and choose assignments wherever in the world there are TDY spots for a couple months at a time, get a paycheck (same salary) and per diem. Not bad.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Having kids later in life means I will not be retiring until at least 65 as I want to help them thru university. As an airline guy I get lifetime flight benefits on retirement so looking forward to more travel.

Plan is also to go back to University and do a degree for fun as undergraduate tuition is waived. Would love to do a degree in Spanish or Art or just take courses I find interesting. I also plan to work/volunteer part time at the ski hill close to my home. My fear is that if I just sit doing nothing I will die.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, I definitely plan on going back to college and asking really stupid questions just to annoy a bunch of 20-year-olds and derail lectures with stories of yore that don't go anywhere.

Iron_chet likes this.
  12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I could definitely see the traveling happening, I_c. But not the further schooling:). That's something a lot of people talk about because they'll finally have the time. But, with no real reason to put in the time and commitment it would take for a/another degree, I just don't see it actually happening in senior years/if, when it comes down to it, it's just not needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted