1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rethinking The Local Paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Jan 24, 2008.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

very different perspective on hyperlocal....

http://avc.blogs.com/a_vc/2008/01/rethinking-the.html

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

BLOGS!

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hometown High lost 12-0, but they played real hard and we're still proud of them!!!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think I saw a sign for that job on the telephone poll right off the freeway exit on my way home from work tonight.

5. rascalface

rascalface Member

If I hear one more person drop "hyperlocal" I'm going to kick my chair.

Was it really that long ago that people learned about minor stuff in their neighborhoods/subdivisions/small towns by talking to their neighbors? (You wanna know what's going on, make friends with the cops and firefighters that live on your street, you'll never want for information). Or is it required that there never be any more human interaction and we all sit in our BLOG! caves, writing 2,000-word missives about the state of the sidewalks in Pine Grove Lakes?

And if Ma and Pa Blogger are going to be pulling in 2 G's a month by the traffic generated from PTA meetings and prep soccer games, I'll eat my hat. Seriously, if stories with that limited an appeal and draw were to generate sufficient traffic to net thousands and thousands of dollars, don't you think newspaper Web sites would rolling in cash by now?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i gave a rip about a pothole on my street, i'd call public works to fix the damn thing.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Hyperlocal.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hy-per-lo-cal-i-ci-ty.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

My foot hurts.

Draft saved Draft deleted