1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retaliation? BANG's "Norma Rae" among 29 slashed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

BANG guild co-chair Sara Steffens was among 29 staffers notified they're on the July 11 Singleton Hit List, the guild website says (via Reporter G). Hard to believe Steffens was just another Singleton Guillotine victim. She's one of the company's most respected writers, and by all accounts an inspirational force in the June 13 guild election. To say she's the BANG guild's "Norma Rae" is no stretch. Her social services and poverty beat may not have made "most read" in pressboxes near you, although the Soup Kitchen beat may be must read soon way things are going.
    If there's any justice an NLRB investigation will put get some Singleton henchmen on the hot seat to perjure themselves...

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2008/07/guild-co-chair-on-cut-list-medianews.html

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Pass the popcorn. This could get good. Go get 'em, gang!

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Any other details on who is on the list (assuming it's public)?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think you can just lay something like that off as a beat being expendable. If you can slog through the social welfare and poverty beat without wanting to put a gun to your head at the end of the week, that's exactly the kind of person I'd want to stick around and keep the troops rallied. Hell, If I was Singleton and I wanted to hurt the union I'd offer her a big promotion at one of his other papers out of state. She sounds like a hell of a person. I really don't see who this benefits except lawyers who will get more billable hours if they have to deal with the NLRB over this.

Hang in there BANGERS.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

"Poor people don't buy newspapers, and generally don't read," Lean Dean Singleton said. "We need to concentrate on writing for our demographic. That way we can maximize revenue and service our advertisers well. Writing on a group of people with little to no disposable income does little to help us strategically.

"The industry needs to gravitate away from these type of stories, especillay in today's competitive market place. Our advertisers sell excess, not social respnsibility."

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

"MediaNews doesn't believe cost cutting is a long term strategy."
    -- Jody Lodovic, Dean Singleton, July 3, 2008

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Reach below waist, and grasp firmly.

8. Definite Article

Definite Article New Member

Sara is one of the best journalists at BANG. It's hard to believe her work with the union had absolutely nothing to do with her layoff. At best, maybe they saw she wasn't quite as productive on her beat with so much energy being spent on the union. At worst, it's retaliation. You'd think you'd want to keep your best writers, though. At the least, broaden her beat a little or something. If anything, a social services-poverty is becoming more relevant each day.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Especially with Lean playing a big hand in sending this business into poverty.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Whatever this is, it's not really a person being cut just because their beat is being eliminated, any more than the Scott Carter/Tampa Tribune situation was.

If she's that good a reporter/writer/person on the social services beat, there's no reason to beleive she couldn't, and, after a little time, wouldn't, be just as good on another beat, which also surely would need filling after all the layoffs.

BANG could have, should have, and, if at all possible, probably would have, found another place for Steffens if cutting her or her job was only about the beat and/or the demographic it is trying to serve.

11. We must afflict the afflicted and comfort the comfortable.

12. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Steffens says she has no regrets about leading BANG union vote that many believe put her atop the Singleton Hit List in last week's layoff round. In union website post, she answers the "was it worth it" question with a resounding "Yes, Yes. A hundred times yes."
    She says wants back in the newsroom and vows to keep fighting for the guild.
    "If someone was looking to get me to shut up already — I hate to tell them, but I think they just handed me a megaphone."

http://onebigbang.org/DEV/?p=383#more-383

Draft saved Draft deleted