1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resumes and the year you graduated from college

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Hey everyone...

Wanted to throw something out there: Is it possible that employers could be looking at resumes and using things found there to redline older candidates?

For example, the date of college graduation. I put that next to my degree information.. I was 27 when I graduated after taking a few years off.. so I appear about 5 years younger if one extrapolates age from that ...

Of course, my work chronology is there also ... so they could figure it out from that, I suppose.

Thoughts??

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: Resumes and the year your graduated from college

too many nontraditional students earning college degrees to really judge a person's age by the year they graduated. myself, in 1998 at 34.

3. spud

spud Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I graduated in 2008, at the ripe old age of 30.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

6. Dave Caldwell

Dave Caldwell New Member

A career counselor who knows a lot more about these things than I do suggested to me to eliminate all dates from my resume. It doesn't matter when you graduated from college, for example; it matters that you graduated.

7. I thought I was a rarity -- I graduated in '99 at 31.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Graduated in 2001 when I was 30.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm still a class short. Or not. I'm not sure, but I haven't gotten around to checking.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Remove all dates? How do you list work history, then? What did the career counselor say about that?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a friend who finished a few classes short and finished up online about five years later. He's always unsure about what to put on his resume.

University of Arizona 1992-96
    University of Phoenix, 2001 graduated.

Draft saved Draft deleted