1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume thread...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Oct 27, 2007.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I would just touch on the good work, but otherwise be run of the mill. If they know you and you try to play that up, it will just make it sound like, Hey hire me because you already know my credentials, and I already do good work for you. Can come off the wrong way.
    they already know you, so you saying it won't be much of an influence. Let your work speak for yourself, and let them decide if the work you've already done is good enough.

2. accguy

accguy Member

At the risk of sounding like a dick, and I know that is possible: if you know these people, why would you want to write a letter like everyone else?

Cite specific examples, talk about the community, kick ass.

You go girl.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agreed.

Seriously - the worst advice you could get is to be "run of the mill" if you're trying to get the job. Capitalize on anything that sets you apart from the crowd. Your connection to the paper is a great asset -- use it.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm glad I read the first three posts before going to the reply. If I saw that at the end of a sentence on a cover letter, I'd already be looking for the next letter.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't assume because they know you that you don't have to put in the same effort as you would for another job. I'd say pretend they don't know you and try to floor the editor.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Good advice there. But don't disregard the connection you have with them. Don't coast, but let 'em know what you've done with them before. It sounds like your first encounter was problematic, but reasonably so. They might be more comfortable brining in someone who at least has a little experience with them.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

This is the sort of the point I was trying to make. Because if they haven't approached you about the job or if you inquired and they said send a resume, then you obviously still need to floor them. If you use the "You already know me and my work approach" it's too easy to let THAT do your talking, instead of your work, while another candidate blows them away with his portfolio and resume. Not saying you shouldn't use the connection --- you should. I am saying if to approach that angle cautiously, remind them, then Wow them.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Be specific. If they are looking for someone who can be a photographer and a writer, make sure you emphasize that in your resume. It's not something I would recommend, you'll work yourself to death without getting much in return. But if they are looking for someone who can work strictly as a writer, highlight that in your resume. If they are looking for someone who can write, edit and shoot, highlight those areas of your experience. Try to make your talents fit the job they are looking to fill.

9. oldhack

oldhack Member

Why should anyone want to hire a pain in the ass? Get over that first, then apply for a job.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My piece of advice: The fact you have what sounds like a positive track record is a good thing, but put forth as much -- if not more -- effort in trying to get the job.

When I was hiring for a full-time reporter position, one of our freelance photogs applied for the job. I gave him a courtesy interview because of that fact, but his clips package was weak and his resume wasn't what I was looking for. He came to the interview in shirt and tie ... and jeans. Needless to say, he didn't make it past the first round.

I found out later he was upset that I didn't consider him for the full-time job, so much so that I never got a photo from him again. Suited me just fine because he sucked HARD as a photog. Hell, I take better photos than he does and I'm not a photog.

11. oldhack

oldhack Member

Assume there might have been legal/policy reasons for giving him an interview, but if he was such a bad photographer, why the hell's he still taking pictures for the paper? Sounds like a little managing needs to be done.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He was the only backup to our regular staff photog. If she goes on vacation or down to deal with her elderly parents, it's either him or a lot of file art. Otherwise, it'd be me grabbing the office's digital camera and giving it my best shot.

Trust me, I wasn't shedding any tears when he stopped taking assignments from me. I consider it addition by subtraction.

Draft saved Draft deleted