1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume thread...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Oct 27, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I noticed we have a lot of resume questions on this board, so maybe we can sticky this if anyone needs advice from time to time.

Here's my question. I'm applying for a job at a paper that I currently freelance at. A lot.

Should my cover letter be run of the mill, or should it reflect that the bosses know me?

A friend of mine says run of the mill. Thoughts?

2. I'd go the opposite way. Remind them of the good work you've done for them.

3. farmerjerome

You're funny. ;D

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

In your cover letter, don't end a sentence with "at."

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Find out what the newspaper is looking for in a writer, if they are looking for a writer, and write your cover letter accordingly. Do they want someone who can be versatile, work on the copy desk, design desk, write on deadline, work on entrerprise stories. Every editor looks for something different. Make your resume look like what the editor is looking for.

6. I was serious ;D

7. farmerjerome

I'm sorry. ;D

8. Have you not done good work for them?

Lots of places need to be reminded. ;D

9. farmerjerome

See, that's my deal. I'm applying for a photography position, but I'm pretty good at pulling double duty.

For instance, yesterday I shot and filed a gamer on the road. I wrote a 16-18 inch gamer, and edited a photo in less than an hour.
    I was one minute late for deadline, but I was having connection problems at the rest stop I was filing from.
    I ended up having to use the paper's generic e-mail instead of my own. I tried to send a photo, and I had to install something to send the photo.

Honestly, I think I'm okay at what I do. I work hard and I work fast.

Our old photog would take hours to edit a photo. I'm not like that. I find the photo and edit it. Thirty minutes max. And 15 minutes are uploading the photos. Ten minutes to edit, less than five to size it and write the cutline.

10. farmerjerome

To be completely honest, I do good work but I'm a pain in the ass. It comes from my nerves, but I work pretty quickly and my stories are consistantly solid. I don't always hit the home run, but I always get on base.

11. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

It sounds like you've got a good start to your cover letter on here....

Use your letter to remind them of the quality work you've done - as you've mentioned above, you've worked quickly and effectively for them already.

Sounds like the best place to start.

12. Your advantage is that your employer is, or should be, familiar with your work over the other applicants. Use it.

Draft saved Draft deleted