1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 6, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Many of you have covered a championship team of some sort, then got caught in the whirlwind when your paper rushed out a commemorative book for the fan base to gobble up.

How do you reflect this on a resume, if you do at all? Say a paper-published book featured pretty much all of your work from the season plus an article you put together exclusively for the book, along with a couple of your columnists' pieces? Are you a contributor? Co-author? Leave it off completely?

Just curious as to how others approach this. I've never included mine but I'm now wondering if I should.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Nothing wrong with touching it on your description of you current (or past) gig. On my resume, I generally site some of the more memorable stuff I did, including features, online (BLOGS!), etc.

Example:
    Bumfuck Daily Bugle: Sports reporter
    - Served primarily as BFU university beat reporter, providing daily copy on all university athletics. Assisted with production of online-only content through regularly updated Web postings and provided content and editing for the Bugle's commemorative book based on BFU's run to the NCAA Division-I championship. Consistently broke news on the subject of the ensuing investigation after BFU was alleged to have paid for prostitutes and fluffers for the men's basketball team.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

really? you "site" stuff? ;D sorry, couldn't resist.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Could have been worse... could have written "sight".
    In the future, I'll try to double-check my 2:05 a.m. posts better after I've taken my buddy out for his birthday.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

One of the things I learned from an employment counselor after my paper closed down:
    Prepare a resume that includes a section on achievements, such as "covered the Lions' path to the Super Bowl, including writing materials for a special section and a soft-cover book."
    In separate sections after the achievents, list employment and education.
    I've used that type of resume for years and the hiring personnel often noted they liked the presentation.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You think that's ever going to happen?!

I assume you mean "achievements"? :D

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just as long as you realize your shortcomings and address the situation properly. ;)

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hopefully it's a championship that people actually care about instead of Podunk High's run to badminton glory.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you got a badminton player a scholarship based on your coverage in the paper, that would be quite an achievement.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm digging up this old thread with some new resume questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On my resume, when I list the cities for the companies I have work and the schools I attended, I write those cities in AP style.
    However, on the header of my resume, where I have my address listed I use the postal code for my state.

Should I break the rules on the headers and use AP style? Editors will know it is wrong, but it will show consistency for the jobs I am applying for outside of the newspaper industry.

Also, I've read a lot about trying to quantify accomplishments instead of listing duties, would any one mind sending me some examples of what types of accomplishments they list on their resumes?

Thanks again.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Be consistent and clear, that's all. And spell everything right. My state names are all written out, and I don't think it makes a difference.

If you're taking an editing test, that's where your knowledge of AP style will come into play.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks, Buck... I think I may use the postal codes instead of AP style because they will save space. I am always trying to save space on my resume. I think using AP style for those things was more important a few years ago when I was fresh out of college.

Draft saved Draft deleted