1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, I'm preparing the resume for the summer, and wondering who puts state press association awards on their resume? I'm still a bit of a rookie with this, five years in the business, but I never found them to be that big of a deal. However, after winning an APSE award, I certainly want that to stand out on the resume. Thoughts......

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I have one on mine, but I don't know that it has ever made a lot of difference. People have always been more interested in my clips.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Include an awards section and list your most impressive ones.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Have an award section on the resume, but the clips are the thing. Example - a friend of mine was working as a stringer for the state's largest paper, when he got a call from the publisher of a paper who needed an SE, which is a job my buddy used to have. The publisher asked him to come in for an interview. My buddy asked how many clips should I bring? The publisher told him not to bring any, he said he had a sub to the paper he was stringing for and was aware of his writing ability. The interview was basically to talk about money. One week after the interview, my buddy took the job that was offered. The publisher was impressed with his work not how many awards he had won.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

See I think your clips and interview are essential, but I've come to notice that the little things that set you apart prove more important sometimes.
    I'm sure everyone on this board has quality clips and has gone to hundreds of interviews.
    But I've lost jobs, I'm sure a lot of other people have, after solid interviews and submitting what were thought to be strong clips...
    Gotta stand out as much as you can.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i photocopy "mobey" and let them decide on their own if they want me or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted