1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EGM67, Aug 31, 2006.

1. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

I have worked at a weekly newspaper for nearly two years. In those two years I have covered all the high school sports in our coverage area along with other community news, feature stories and other random assignments. Along with all that, I have also been in charge of writing obituaries, church news, calendar of events and parts of the style page, among other things.

I am looking to get out of the weekly business and into a daily sports department.

My question is, do prospective employers care that I write obits? Does it matter if I include the fact that I layout the church news column? Should I include those on my resume?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Obits is good training. You need to be accurate and precise. I would include that. I would add that you design a news page. Don't need to say it's church news.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I lead my resume with a category called "Summary:" followed by a general paragraph about myself, what I'm doing and where I want to go (I like "Summary" a lot better than "objective" or some shit.) If you have a spot for something like that on your resume, this would be great to put there:

I have worked at a weekly newspaper for nearly two years. In those two years I have covered all the high school sports in our coverage area along with other community news, feature stories and other assignments. Along with all that, I have also been in charge of writing obituaries, church news, calendar of events and parts of the style page, among other things.

I am looking to get out of the weekly business and into a daily sports department.

The person reading this will fall in love with your resume right away. I think that would really connect with someone reading your resume - great example of how being a little unconventional (yet very sound) might really help you.

4. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted