1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by taller hack, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Good points on both sides...

I might say add the events if you can show you did something special with the coverage.

One of the best things about resumes was something I read by Robert Half, who gave great advice on the subject. He used the example of a major league infielder. The bad resume would say something like, field ground balls, catch pop flies, participate in double plays, go to bat when it is my turn.

the good resume would say something like... Played nine years in the major leagues, was named to three all-star teams, won the Golden Glove twice and helped our team make the playoffs three years and the World Series one year.

So if you can show something special about your coverage, put it in your resume.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

good advice, but funny to think about someone actually putting "fielded ground balls, caught pop flies, hit balls, ran bases, etc." on a resume. i'm sure it's happened though.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Half was exaggerating to make a point. And it does happen (maybe not to that extent) because people list what their duties are rather than their accomplishments.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i think Gold was showing example of the boring resume that reads, covered football games, wrote features, attended media day regularly

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

you got it, amigo

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Unfortunately, "participate in double plays" was what he did at bat. :)

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Professional resumes are all about experience, achievements and references.

Listing the events you have covered is great for impressing your pals and relatives, but SE's couldn't care less.

Draft saved Draft deleted