1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by taller hack, Aug 15, 2006.

1. taller hack

taller hack Member

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm updating my resume and was wondering if it is good to include the events I have covered, because some of them are high profile, or if employers don't care.

Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put events on my resume, but I'd probably include some clips from big events.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Seconded.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thirded. But what about mentioning them in the cover letter?

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Agree on all fronts. Mention said events in the cover letter, and include the clips if they're decent.

6. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

I'd say the best way to do it is to show it in the clips, if they are solid. Unless there's something about the coverage of the big event that you want to show off in the cover letter.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Okay, since no one else is really tearing this up (come on guys, where that's ole SportsJournalists.com rip the question spirirt?), I'll play:

I wouldn't even send a resume. Just send your clips with a post-it note that says "Call me, you know you need me."

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or maybe just slip the SE a fiver with a note that says "Put my desk where I can see the ladies."

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Your resume could include a few major achievements, such as: Organized the all-area team, including writing the copy.

10. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

But, wait, there are no desks!

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Here's the thing about big events. Covering them doesn't make you a great reporter. I know a guy at a very small daily who writes worse than George W runs the country. Yet, he brags about covering an all-star game or pga tourney or whatever. big deal. unless you have solid great clips from the event, it doesn't matter.
    just attending premier events isn't enough, it's what you do when you're there and what you take away from them.

12. editthis

editthis New Member

I somewhat disagree. If you've covered many major events for years and two or three major metros, obviously, you are doing something right.

Draft saved Draft deleted