1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume' Quandry: Does High School Experience Belong or Not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. HEST

HEST New Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

Henry hit it out of the park. If you can't produce online multi-media content your value in the coming years will be about 30 cents on the dollar.

2. Re: Summer Job Movement

That damn Internet. I'm gunna sue Al Gore! He cost me my job!

3. Re: Summer Job Movement

"All that stuff is great preparation for a journalism career before you're out of high school; it's not the same as working on a real construction job at 14, IMO."

If I was working on a real paper then, how is it not?

4. Re: Summer Job Movement

Would a moderator please change the title of this thread to ...

"Resume' quandry: Does high school experience belong or not?"

This is five pages of wasted reading from my life that I will never get back. I wish I had never even started this thread.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

You can change it yourself. You started the thread. Just modify your first post to change the name.

6. OK, here we go.

I'm sorry I started any of this. Sorry I pushed the wrong buttons, sorry I got stuck in a pissing contest, sorry I hijacked a thread.

As far as I'm concerned, it's hereby over. Not another peep out of me on this thread.

Sorry.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

No reason to be sorry. It's another learning experience, as most of life is. None of us has it all figured out.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No it's not. It's reality.

Does it mean you're going to get great reporters who can also take great photos? No. You're likely going to get jacks-of-all-trades who are masters of none. But I know of places that require their reporters to take photos in addition to doing the reporting.

Most shops can't afford to hire more people in this day and age. We're going to have to do more with less. At least we don't have the old school waxers, 0Xacto knives and that evil black tape.

9. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Heck and worse of all at smaller shops you have to buy your own equipment....All I want is a better camera...750 bucks worth probably ...so I can do stuff when i can't get the photographer out there, but I am stuck with a 3 MP Kodak Easyshare, where the batteries are taped in because the latch is broke or using my own personal stuff. ...and I am getting tired of fixing the server too, because they sent someone out to buy the software that had no idea what they are doing....

10. KP

KP Active Member

You nailed it, forever.

Instead of getting a very good story for the morning paper. You'll get an ok story (will the stats even be correct considering you were being a videographer for spells), an ok video highlight (key play happened when you taking notes and didn't have the camera on), and an ok blog. Too many eggs in one basket.

Draft saved Draft deleted