1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume' Quandry: Does High School Experience Belong or Not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

Well then, I'm wrong. Course I'm old and ancient at 31.

2. Re: Summer Job Movement

SC, do I enjoy it? Of course not. Am I sick and tired of the fucking whining? Of course.

Every other thread on this board is about the state of the industry, and everybody is so "woe is me" if I have to work a little harder. I worked at one of the best major metros in the country, and half the people on the section were lazy as shit. And those half just happened to be in there mid-40s or above.

It's up to them to either do a good job or get fired. And a good job requires something more than it did as early as 5 years ago. Deal with it. I am, and so is everyone entering the field today.

3. Re: Summer Job Movement

And yet you are already jaded by the industry? Listen, guys (and girl), I understand it's not what it used to be. But it's also a hell of a lot more exciting. I'm sure you all make more than I do, but I'm lucky enough to be without much responsibility. I love getting stories, I love interviewing people, I love everything about this job. I wish you guys did too.

4. sportschick

Your condescending attitude won't get you far in this career, kiddo.

Just because we have to deal with doing more work for less pay doesn't mean we can't bitch about it.

PS: I like my job, but that doesn't mean it doesn't frustrate me. Pardon me if I don't drink the corporate kool-aid.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm not jaded by the industry. I love the industry. Some parts more than others.

6. Re: Summer Job Movement

Kiddo? You've got eight years on me.

You're right, you can bitch about it. And I can bitch about you.

And it's not more work for less pay, it's more work for the same amount of pay. Did you ever consider that some of us out there made too much for what we're really worth? I for shit sure am not, I get paid dick. But in five years I'll be making decent money, and I'll be earning it.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I love my job. I love what I do, as much now as I did when I started. ... But I hate the business of this business.

8. Re: Summer Job Movement

WB - Do you ever post about the things you love about the industry? How about getting that perfect quote? How about being able to follow your passion? How about watching people play sports for a living!>!?!?!

We have it SO SO SO SO easy people. We could be crunching boring ass numbers. Instead, I got to go to a rodeo for six hours a day for all of last week. You think some accountant wouldn't switch places with me in an instant?

Even better, there is no ceiling for some of us. I'm young and impressionable and of course I think I'm the greatest thing in the world, but I also realize that the potential is there.

AIN'T IT GREAT>!!!!!

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

So you're the one, Superfly, that thinks you're making more than you deserve. The only one.

10. sportschick

Oh, so the old farts aren't earning their pay? Interesting. No wonder people here like you.

And you don't know me. You don't know where I work. You don't know what I make. So shove it.

And act like a kid, and you'll get called kiddo. Funny how that works.

11. Re: Summer Job Movement

Then, Buck, how can you complain? Of course, the business sucks. I've yet to meet someone not in medicine or oil who doesn't think their business sucks. But we get the fun stuff, and all they get is crap.

My dad works for an insurance company, sitting on the phone all day and inputting numbers into a computer. He makes four times what I do. But, guess what? He'd trade places with me in an instant.

12. sportschick

Just because somebody would rather have my job doesn't mean that they'd be capable of doing it even half as well. Our jobs are not easy. Quit acting like anybody can do it, because that's a fallacy that the business wants us to believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted