1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume' Quandry: Does High School Experience Belong or Not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. As everyone knows summer is the time when sports writers tend to change jobs, careers, etc. There is usually a lot of movement in this profession during this window between spring and fall.

As I have scanned the market though, it seems like there is much less movement this year than in the past. Maybe people aren't changing jobs, maybe because the profession is eliminating positions there aren't as many jobs to change to, maybe I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing.

What does everyone else think? Seems to me there isn't much job movement this summer and the jobs that are available aren't as intriguing. You guys thinking the same thing?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

Noticed the same thing but didn't ask in fear of the answer. The Jobs board just does not seem as busy as it used to. I'd like to say that it is because people are finding happiness and comfort in their jobs and not going anywhere, but I think we all know that's not it. There just aren't as many jobs in this profession out there.

3. statrat

statrat Member

Much, much less movement this summer. I had a few to pick from last year, and planned to try and move up a step or two this year, but there is just not much out there right now.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

are you people living in a cave? the industry is struggling. whether you believe in impending demise of newspapers or think it just needs time or refuse to characterize it as a struggle because newspapers are still making money but not as much as before, things are rough.

fewer openings is a natural consequence of a period like this.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Hold on a second there, Buddy. Did I miss something?
    The industry is struggling?

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I haven't noticed as many job ads this summer either. Guess it's time to stay put and take that cost of living pay raise.

7. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's more movement than the last couple of summers - or maybe it's just that I'm hearing about more or something ...

Anyone have a way to measure if it's true (for example, number of jobs posted last summer on the APSE board vs. this summer - something like that)?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Or, more likely, the pay raise that MIGHT cover half of your annual cost of living increase.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Now I have had a couple of beers, so bear that in mind.

But ...

You want a better job? Get some better skills.

I sat in a meeting the other day with a swinging dick, an academic who also walks amongst the business types, who probably knows more about where this market is going than all of us put together. Well, most of us anyway.

The people who are going to move up can do all of the things we've done for the last 15-20 years, plus:

1, Go into the field with a digital still camera, digital VR -- and, yes, a small video camera.
    2, Come back to the office and put together online content packages.
    3, Rinse and repeat.

There it is. There's the magic formula for success. Don't like it? Tough.

Newspapers are hiring ... people who can do these things. Real jobs, provably hot. And it won't matter if you're 22 or 42. In fact, the 45-year-old who has already proven he or she knows his or her ass from a hole in the ground AND can grok the new thing has an advantage over the tech-savvy slacker who can't distinguish burro from burrow.

Or so it seems to me.

10. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Wanting reporters to go into the field with a digital or video camera is absolutely insane. I won't argue that newspapers want these kind of reporters -- mine does -- but it's still crazy. It's enough for some people to be just reporters. Giving them extra duties can and will make their finished product even worse.

I just don't get it. If papers want more online content, hire more people to make it happen.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The problem, right now, is that I guess there isn't money for that. You can hire more internet writers, but the internet isn't making any money. It's kind of a Catch-22, I guess.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Reporters are reporters. Videographers are videographers. Photographers are photographers. The whole thing just pisses me off, and it's not even affecting me, so I'll stop here.

Draft saved Draft deleted