1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restricting news conferences to working journalists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's the point of getting a card, which many press association give out already? I don't think press association should determine what a journalist is either.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What happens the first time some over zealous PR flack, staffer, intern or security guy doesn't recognize the right credential and tries to keep someone out? Happened to that woman at the Masters. And if that someone just happens to be a member of a paper with an opposite editorial slant who might ask a tough question, but we sweat it was a coincidental accident that he/she was excluded? It's a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. No body needs the headache.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bloggers can state opinions and do not face the same accountability in general. Obviously, there are exceptions, but do you really consider the guys you mentioned to be journalists?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe it is not so much that the journalist needs to be licensed as much as the news organization needs to be licensed?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't believe someone in journalism would ever write this.

6. 93Devil

Why?

When you request a game credential you need to state the organization you are with or represent.

Does the health department penalize the cook or the dish washer or do they repremand the business?

7. If you want to have a "journalism department," you'll have to repeal the first amendment first.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think there is a media law class at your local college you can take.

9. 93Devil

And how many bloggers have taken this class?

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

WTF?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just don't see why hecklers and bloggers are a problem. I don't recall a blogger stopping me from doing my job, even if bloggers have been at sporting and political events I've covered.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Next time a politician resigns after creating his own circus, I'm sure the press conference won't be at a public venue.

Draft saved Draft deleted