1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restricted access's impact on sport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 3, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm watching ESPN Classic - finally got it on basic service - and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Which opened up the thought that, did boxing hurt itself in any way with the pay-per-view era and would boxing get a boost with a network TV contract for heavyweight fights? Not sure. But I think the NFL Network has been a fiasco, and ultimately, even with the kinks out, they'd lose their ass trying to put the Super Bowl on this network. Advertisers wouldn't spend half the money they do on networks where access is unlimited. I think, in the same way, baseball hurt itself when network baseball almost disappeared, and then, in the playoffs, became restricted access, even with the networks, in a geographic limitation. Ultimately, viewers lose interest if it's not readily accessible.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

See: Premier League, English. Also a fine example of how television contracts and the quest for a worldwide product have left empty seats in the stands.

Draft saved Draft deleted