1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant ethics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oldschoolguy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Oldschoolguy

Oldschoolguy New Member

Let me get the caveats outta the way, first.
    1. I rarely post here (lurk a lot, tho), so I have no right to ask anyone's input on anything.
    2. The question I'm about to ask seems too easy to waste time on.

But ... OK, here goes.

the other night, my wife and I are eating at a restaurant owned by two friends of mine. Service has always been mediocre. And none of the owners has ever so much as bought me a beer. But ... well, they're friends, so I sorta feel obligated to patronize the place once in a blue. Now, I'm not so sure.

Here's why: My wife orders a glass of HOUSE Pinot Grigio, which sells for $6, according to the fancy folded wine-promo placard sitting promimently on the table between the unlit candle and the fancy folded beer-promo placard.

Waitress brings the wine.

We eat. We call for the check. Waitress brings it.

Wine is charged at $8, not $6 (per the placard).

My wife asks why it's $8, and the waitress explains that they're out of the HOUSE brand, so she brought us whatever-the-hell the next most expensive brand was.

Now, you all know it ain't the $2. But should we -- or maybe I should ask, WOULD YOU -- be pissed off about the principle of the thing?

2. Hell, yes.
    That's the living definition of bait-and-switch.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I get mad when they bring me 7-Up when I ask for Sprit. Think I can't tell once I taste it?? So fuck yea.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'd tell the owners what happened. And now you have a reason to never go back. That stuff drives me crazy.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"But they're the same thing."

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Being out the house is fine, but if the waitress isn't going to give you the option of not buying the more expensive wine, she should have charged the $6 as the lower end.

You should tell your friends. If this happens to other customers, they will be lost for good.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They ran out. They have to either:

1. Explain that when you order and offer the slightly more expensive vino.

2. Give you the better stuff at the lower price.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd be upset, but I'd certainly let the owners know -- especially since they're your friends.

And, since friendship is a two-way street, I think it's your responsibility to let them know that the service has always been mediocre. If my friends patronized my place and didn't give me feedback, I'd be just as pissed as you are for getting the bad service.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Was the waitress wearing a nose ring?

10. accguy

accguy Member

I would tell your friends in a it-wasn't-a-big-deal-to-me-but.... kind of way.

That way it doesn't look like you're pissed or you're perceived as cheap and you're just trying to help them out.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Same issue as at the car rental counter.

They're out of compacts, I expect to get a mid-size at the same price.

I would have simply made up the $2 on her tip.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awesome. Pin a gold star on your shoe tree, Frank. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted