1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant/bar horror stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigRed, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

So, we're eating KFC at home one night and my wife bites down on something hard. Spits it out and it's a small, round piece of metal. We drove back to the place and the manager says "Oh yeah, that's one of the clips that hold the plastic bags shut. They get in there sometimes". No money back, no apology, nothing. Amazing.

2. I'm sitting in a restaurant with two friends. One of my buddies is eating the standard sandwich/chips/pickle out of a basket, when he pulls out of his chips pile one lens for a pair of glasses.

We were simultaneously disgusted and laughing our asses off.

No less than 20 seconds after our discovery, a cook from the back walks into the dining area -- with his eyeglass frames missing one lens. He spots my friend holding the lens, comes over, and with a hearty laugh declares, "Oh, that's where that went!" We were speechless.

They didn't offer us anything off the meal. We never went back.

Once, while eating at a Friendly's in New Jersey, I spotted a large rat in the foyer of the restaurant, then immediately went home and called the Department of Health.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This thread needs a "Not Safe For Right Before Lunch" warning in the title.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Once saw a Ruby Tuesday's (Jackson, Miss.) cook washing his hair in the bathroom sink. I told the manager, and he was appologetic.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I had a bug run out of my salad at Houston's in Manhattan Beach once. I caught it in the napkin and quietly had a conversation with the server, trying to be somewhat discreet.

The waiter exclaims, "Oh my God, there was a bug in your salad?!? Sir, I'm so sorry!" He overreacts enough to make Dick York proud. I got a few freebies outta that one.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was at a very high-end restaurant in Cancun several years ago. No, really, there is a very high-end restaurant in Cancun. This was a four- or five-star level place. Very, very nice. it sat out on the water on the "inland" side of the hotel strip. Well, after polishing off a great meal my wife and I and our friends were having a couple of post-dinner drinks when I glanced out the window and saw one of the cooks walk out of the kitchen and down to the water where he bent down and washed his hands.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

It's Mexico. The fact that he bothered to do that much surely made him the cleanest local there. *Rimshot*

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A coworker spotted an eyelash in her soup a few months ago. Could have been a nose hair. I saw that freaky rainbow shit on a side of roast beef one time at Subway. Very unpleasant.

9. Standing in line at a Ryan's Steakhouse at the buffet, I saw a 12-year-old boy sneeze into the mashed potatoes. He didn't do it on purpose.
    He looked at me, grinned and headed to his seat.

I told one of the kitchen workers and they changed out the pans PDQ.
    Still, I'm sure that's not worst bufffet story on record.
    I shudder to think about the crap I've unintentionally stuffed down gullet at a buffet.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That freaky rainbow shit just comes on precooked hunks of roast beef and corned beet.

It won't hurt you. Promise.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've had free shots all the time.... some alcohol, some to clear up minor ... issues.. thanks for askin... ;)

How many of the free shots did your wife let you have, Red?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

BigRed -- that is nasty, but it is my understanding that the shot girls usually pay management for the tray of shots in advance. So if she had to use the restroom, she probably felt that it was safer than leaving it outside or even with the bartender (who loses tips to the shot girls).

Draft saved Draft deleted