1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant/bar horror stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigRed, Feb 18, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Thought I should share this with an audience - feel free to top this story. In fact, I'd like to hear yours.
    Last night, the wife and I went to a restaurant/sports bar in a fairly large city (300,000 or so).
    There were a couple of attractive girls running around selling shots for a dollar or two apiece.
    My wife went to the restroom, which only had two stalls and about seven women waiting to use them.
    One of them was occupied by one of the shot girls (wife said you could see her pants and shoes through the bottom of the stall).
    Her shot tray was on the floor, which is gross enough by itself.
    She finishes whatever it is she's doing, and everyone in there hears the distinct clink, clink, clink of shots being put back on the tray. That's right - she TOOK THEM INTO THE BATHROOM - and had apparently rested them on the toilet while she did her business.
    She comes out of the stall, and everyone's mouth is agape, staring at her.
    She says, "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I had to change my tampon."
    Uh, yeah, thanks for sharing honey.
    We told a manager (we were one of four who said something) and got a couple of free shots from him (Jager Bombs, and no that girl wasn't carrying any of those).
    We were totally disgusted.
    Has anyone else ever expereinced anything like this? Do tell.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A rumor got loose in a town near me about 10 years ago that an employee who was HIV positive whacked off into the mayo. A difficult week of figuring how to say that in print and listening to the spins and denials and results of the tests by the health department ***

That Jager bomb didn't seem extraordinarily red did it?

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Nah, the Jager wasn't too red - it was a strong Jager bomb, but not too red. The manager brought them to us personally, so I trusted them. :)

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I took a job at a restaurant to earn some extra money in college. A free meal was part of it. A few minutes after I finished eating, I saw the cook, a large man named Ivan, with a finger waaaay up a nostril. I quit. If food was part of my pay and I couldn't eat it, time to move on.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A good cook will go anywhere for a little flavor.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Years ago a few of us from the paper went out drinking. I went to the men's room and saw that the drunk sitting on the stool next to mine was headed out the door with my coat. I caught up with him and he was apologetic and got his coat and left. When we got home I was talking to my roommates. I reached in my coat pocket and felt something slimey. It was a pair of false teeth. I returned them to the bar the next day. Next time we were in, the drunk bought us a round of drinks.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Two stories:

1. I'm in a local restaurant (a chain restaurant) one day having lunch. The blinds on the window at the booth where I'm sitting were closed. I hear what sounds like a car crash outside, so I lift the bottom of the blind to look out the window _ and there's about 500 dead gnats on the window sill.

I complain to the manager, he offers me dinner free that day (food was just fine, I was done eating when I found the gnats).

About a year later, I decide to go back because I had heard the place was under new management and everything was fine. Get out of my car, go around the corner of the building to go in the front door, and there's a sign from the health department in big red letters, "POOR."

Never went back. Restaurant was closed a couple of months later.

2. In the first town I worked at, the local Hardee's was torn down and a new one was built down the block.

The story had it that one day in the old building, the milkshake machine clogged, and when they opened it up the machine was filled with dead cockroaches mixed in with the ice cream.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's fine. I can deal with that.
    I can't deal with someone who is supposed to be handling food and drinks doing something as disgusting as this woman did.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was eating a Wendy's Big Bacon Classic a few years ago while driving to an event. I looked down at the burger and saw a band-aid in what would've been my next bite. :-X :-X :-X

I haven't been back to any Wendy's in over four years.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Friend of mine orders a Fried chicken salad from a very good bar/restaurant in the area. It comes out and I noticed something really different about it.

The CHICKEN WAS STILL PINK on the inside. It was like it was seared only. I'm so glad she noticed this as well. I heard the guy was fired that night.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I was 14 or so and ate into an uncooked chicken mcnugget from Mcdonalds. They offered to give us a bunch of gift certificates for free food. My dad was on the phone with the manager and said, "She doesn't want any free food from you. She wanted cooked food." He took them back, got his money back for the entire meal and used some of it to get me Wendy's or Taco Bell (I don't remember which). It took me about 6 years before I could eat a chicken mcnugget again.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got two memorable stories. Fortunately, none are as fucking disgusting as cockroaches in the ice cream machine.

When I was a sophomore in high school, my parents took us to Florida for spring training. We were at a Sizzler and in the middle of dinner when my sister shrieks "Oh my God what is that?" It was a screw in her fries. Management was extremely apologetic and said that a screw could have fallen out of a shelf while the fries were cooking. Which sounded fishy then and sounds fishy now. Our meal was comped and the manager gave us four free dinner vouchers...which we figured we'd never use, since there were no Sizzlers back home.

But nooooooooooo. Mom and Dad like to stretch their buck and like the idea of eating a free meal during our last night in Florida. So a few nights later, they drag us, almost kicking and screaming--and really, you've never seen a 15-year-old and a 14-year-old less eager to go out to eat than my sister and I were that night--back to Sizzler. The two of us are near tears, scared to death to eat. My dad says "You can either eat now or you can eat tomorrow afternoon." Well, that convinced us. No screws in the food. And I've even eaten at Sizzler a few times over the years.

In college, two buddies and I went on a road trip to cover a football game. On the way back, we stopped at a McDonalds on the turnpike. We ordered lunch and sundaes and got right back on the road. Lunch was fine, but after a few bites of the sundae, something didn't seem right. So I said--for reasons I've yet to figure--"Hey John. Try this. Does this taste funny to you?" I pass the sundae up to the front passenger seat. He takes a bite, chews for a couple seconds...and rolls down the window and spits it out. It lands on my window, splattered like bugs.

"This milk is bad!" he says. "I knew my sundae tasted funny! We gotta stop at the next McDonalds and complain!"

So a few miles later (because there's a McDonalds every 10 feet on I-95) we stop and go into McD's. My buddy complains and the manager says he'll give us two free sundaes. I say "no fucking way, I'm not eating a sundae." My buddy says "Ahh, what are the odds these will be bad too?" and eats both. And he was right.

And I haven't touched a McDonald's sundae since. Yuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted