1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Response regrading jobs.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joshua Reese, May 21, 2017.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

To yours and Riddick's points, both of you have stated reasons why I'm just a drive-by around here anymore.

Bronco77 likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As the first one to suggest a little civility in this thread, I have to draw the line a bit.

You don't turn grammar and spelling on and off like it's a water spigot. That is a common misconception. Write all the time like it matters, and it will be easier to when your ass is on the firing line.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I guess I expect people to check their words on a journalists' site.
    It doesn't kill ya to do a readback right after you post. And, wow, look at that: an edit button!

Tweener likes this.
  4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Have you had a second or third pair of eyes look at your cover letter template, resume and clips? You are not going to hear back from every editor, and as I wrote, you need to make sure you get in the pile that gets more than a passing look.

Based on prior posts, you don't want to cover high schools, which means you are competing against people who have a lot more experience and are a proven commodity. Where you apply to may factor into why you aren't hearing back.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I really wish someone would use the thread editing tools and fix the fucking thread title. We all know the OP fucked it up. Now the OP needs to fix it. I must be really irritable for a Monday, but every time I see this thread pop up under New Posts, I yell FUCK!!!!

regrading. FUCK!!!!

It's like a Pavlov's dog response kind of thing.

FUCK!!!!

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My driveway needs a regrading. So there's that.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We should probably regrade our jabs, too. I haz a sowwy now. :(

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Although it's been said, many times, many ways, this x1,000. If your cover letter and resume are loaded with errors, any clips you send along are not going to be read.

9. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

First, you need someone who can deliver honest criticism of your writing. You don't need somebody, "trying to be nice." When I was younger, my mother fulfilled that role. Now my oldest daughter does that. She is particularly good because she enjoys finding typos or words that don't make sense. That's why she is helpful.

The other thing is have you been received the appropriate treatment for dyslexia. There might be some help here. If I were you, I would concentrate on reporting, interviewing and research skills.

10. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

Very fair, thank you John. I could have some other people take a look at what I've been sending out, I'll start doing that. Also about the HS thing, my fear was that I would just never make it back once I went to HS. I don't look at it that way anymore, if I'm good enough I'll eventually make it back. I actually want to get on the HS beat and kinda learn from the bottom up. Will see.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted