1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Response regrading jobs.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joshua Reese, May 21, 2017.

1. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

I wanted to know how job searches for paper are conducted if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently applied at a lot of different places, some I think I am much more qualified than others. But the question I have is it normal not to hear back from editors or whoever I have sent my resumes too?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you are sincere, re-read your post and think why you wouldn't hear back.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How bad were your original grades?

Batman likes this.
  4. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

Even if my resume was a complete joke, which it's not, is it wrong to expect a reply?

The point was I don't know the process of how papers go about job searches. I was just trying to learn more about the process... If a person sends a resume, and if they aren't interested in that person do they ignore them forever? Long story short I sent my resume for a job I had no chance at getting, and heard back from the editor pretty quick. The last few resumes I have sent out, I have more of a chance at getting at least an interview (I think) and haven't heard from any of them. This is new to me, I've been in radio for damn near the last decade...

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Editors, even at small papers, get dozens of resumes, with many candidates not remotely qualified. They don't have time to respond back. If the grammar and punctuation errors from your posts are an indication of what is in your cover letter, resume, and clips, then you might be in the "not worth a response" pile. Make sure you are not in that pile.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  6. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

Fair enough, this is what I was trying to figure out...

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The jobs for which you think you are qualified, the smaller papers, the editor is probably doing both his job and the one he's trying to fill. It's spring, so dozens, maybe hundreds, of new grads are applying for every opening. It's tough to respond to every applicant.

And like has been said, glaring misspellings and punctuation errors likely mean they didn't even look at your resume.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What J Hammond said. If you have similar errors in your cover letter, they probably don't even look at your resume. Maybe have someone read your cover letter and resume and see if you can improve both.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Most newspapers prefer not to hire snowflake millennial goobers who can't spell and think the world revolves around them. Get a clue, my paper would never give you a job

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you are what qualifies as a model employee, they should run far away from there as well.

Tweener likes this.
  11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Both snowflake and millennial are extraneous there unless your paper is hiring goobers who can't spell, don't think much of themselves and are older than 31 (conservatively).

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Little bit harsh, but can't really dispute anything there.

Draft saved Draft deleted