1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Responding to reader comments?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Peytons place, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the posts are insulting (like about weight or physical looks), I'd remind the higher-ups at your paper of sexual harrassment laws if they're resistant to monitoring the comments.

Because I would think a business that would allow its customers to insult their own employees would be ripe for a lawsuit.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nothing good can ever come out of responding to reader comments, except, as has been noted, it's something in regard to facts. But, even then, once those idiots see your name in response, their eyes light up and it opens up a whole new can of worms.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

There's a fine line. I've always been of the mind that responding too thoroughly in comments weakens the story. It gives the impression that the writer's article wasn't refined and needs fine-tuning when prompted by the readers.

I've only responded to comments when my answer adds color that wasn't critical in the original piece in the first place. Otherwise, my thoughts can be found in the 800-word column above.

Importantly, engaging with the commenters can lead to brand loyalty. You're paid & published and the readers aren't, so from a commenter's standpoint, it's often refreshing to receive a thought-out response from the writer. Ultimately, they come back because they feel like they're getting a scoop and a conversation.

As for the rude comments, nothing will drive them up the wall more than communicating with others and ignoring them. In short, you are a little too thin-skinned. Unless they go all KSK on you and post up pics of your family, it's best to let them run around the room until they crash.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The reader comments section aren't a place you want to be. I'd avoid responding to the comments at all costs. They are for the most part a creepy internet hangout where "readers" spout hate. I rarely see anything resembling intelligent conversation on them. They exist because they're hit magnets that contribute to digital revenue, not to the journalistic agenda. If you notice a reader comment that points out an actual gaffe, I'd correct it and note that a reader accurately pointed out the error in the comment section, but you'll probably learn about most of your mistakes through emails. I try to reply to all emails as long as they are reasonably civil.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think I want to join in reader comments, but I get over it quickly. What's bothering me most of late is not "The sun rose in the east again, damn Obama" comments, but the utter nastiness being directed toward high school athletes and teams. Some days, before I stopped reading comments to preserve my sanity, I'd read things worse that what I've seen directed at pro athletes. It's just high school sports, for crying out loud!

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I respond all the time when it's a matter of debate on the topic I've written about.
    Keep thinking you're "above" your audience, people, and watch that audience continue to shrink.
    Now, if you're talking about simple name-calling, I'd be talking to management about getting that poster banned. But you write that the Broncos had a crappy draft and your readers disagree, I see no reason why you can't engage them in a discussion.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm glad we have moderators who read every single comment posted and delete all personal attack posts.

It's not perfect, but they filter out a lot of the garbage and keep the comments on subject

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Was his name Doyel, by any chance?

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

We have moderators who seemingly make sure offensive stuff isn't posted (racial epitaphs, the 'f' word and such), but anything other than that seems to be OK with them. I'm not fond of reader comments, because as someone else mentioned, it usually turns into hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric which serves little purpose. If a commenter disagrees with my opinion, I have no problem with that. Happens all the time. But comments like "that's what a chubby girl would say," or you're a "moronic libtard," or my favorite "I can tell you're a real dog, judging by your facebook picture," (which is, in fact, a picture of my dog, and why this reader is checking my facebook, I don't know) do get to me, I admit. I have ignored it, and will continue to do so -- thanks to the great advice I got here :) -- but it does bug me that this is what our business has come to in a lot of ways.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Nope.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said, if there's comments on there about your appearance, or something similar to that, go to your editor or your HR department and tell them that you consider it sexual harrassment.

No company should allow its workers to be subject to harrassment from their customers. The term 'Hostile Working Environment' comes into play.

Draft saved Draft deleted