1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respecting the beliefs of others is more important now than ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess some of us will have to take the more American point of view...that we should aspire to be better, and treat others better, than we ourselves are treated.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

'yab - Have you ever been to the Middle East? Visited a hereditary emirate on the Persian Gulf? An impoverished North African theocracy? Iran? Iraq? Ever spoken to anyone from any of those places?

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

For the love of God, do some research before you say something like that. You guys are effing journalists! Don't you guys want the truth?
    'Yab, you keep posting all this stuff, but you never answer my question. Do you think that this is a real Islamic law? Go show me some proof that says that in Islam, this is ok. Go look for it. I'll be sitting here until I find it for you.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's real because it's perceived by those who impose it and by those on whom it is imposed to be real, legitimate and divine. They used to say 1 billion can't be wrong. Well, 1/2 billion Muslims may be, but who are you to tell them?

5. So the teacher "needs" to be lashed 40 times and spend six months in jail?

We've got a real group of humanitarians on here.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The teacher's potential sentence was 40 years - before the court vacated the original verdict.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

So just because the goverment says its right, means that it is correct in Islam? And please don't blame the people in this because they'd be beheaded in a milli second if they ever said anything about the goverment/Bashir(true story).
    Again I ask you, go find me one single sentence in the Quran or any of the Prophet's sayings that says that this is ok. That's all I'm asking.

P.S. 1/2 billion Muslims think this is right? Where the hell did you get that number from?

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I see my question remains unanswered. Well, sometimes no answer is the answer.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I dunno about The Sudan, but I do know that in this country, ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not that 40 lashes isn't a harsh penalty, but the wounds do heal.

I'd argue that far worse than that is what we do to 17-year-old kids who get hauled up for having sex with their 15-year-old girlfriends. Forcing them onto the "pervert list," making them uproot every time the lady down the street decides she wants to run a daycare center, making it near impossible to raise a family.

I'm not saying the Sudan doesn't have a plank of wood in its own eye, just that we're not exactly speck-free over here.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The problem here isn't the religion. It's the mix of government and religion. It's wrong wherever it happens and whatever the religion.

It poisons both the government and the religion because non-religious people take advantage of it to gain power and stifle enemies.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't know that I ever said it was cool that she gets 40 lashes, dude. At the same time, if it's against the law, regardless of the potential punishment, perhaps she shouldn't have done it.

Simple enough concept.

And I do NOT think she deserves that much.

The snide little "humanitarian" comment was a little unnecessary, don't you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.