1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respecting an embargo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart plans a major sustainability index for every product sold in the store. Environmental blogs are running with the story. But old guard sites aren't, in deference to an embargo the company asked for in exchange for access ...

http://www.thebigmoney.com/blogs/sausage/2009/07/14/mainstream-media-mum-wal-mart-scoop

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

When I was in sports, I used to get some embargoed releases and I'd respect them, almost.

We had the ability to post things to our site and blogs without publishing them until whatever time you chose.

So, if something was embargoed until 9 p.m. EST I'd set it to go live at 8:59 p.m. Not that the minute meant I was "breaking the story" but it made my bosses feel good.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gotta respect them. Because if you keep breaking them, the source won't give you the advance stuff in the future.

4. Inky_Wretch

But if the story breaks elsewhere, aren't all bets off?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Define elsewhere. One place? Five? I'd be leery of breaking it unless you contact the source and say, "Hey, this is out there 'elsehwere.'"

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Doesn't AP embargo its feature stories? You can't run those before a certain date I'm fairly certain.

7. Inky_Wretch

Grist, Treehugger and several other blogs have it. But I agree, I'd be calling the Wal-Martians for a release ASAP.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WNBA all-star team was sent out, and embargoed, last night. Where was the outrage that that info was held back? :D

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's pretty fucking quaint, like the page at the back of the 2009 AP Stylebook on "editing marks" used for editing paper copy. The last time I used those on anything besides an editing test, it was 1979.

I think I would call their PR person and say something like, "Let me get this straight ... you want us to hold off on printing positive news about your company?"

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe Wal-Mart will respect my boycott.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Get the embargoed release, beat the bushes to find the information from another source and either run the secondary sourced info or go back to them.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one organization's embargo I'll never honor again: LPGA. They sent out a news release on the interim commissioner Monday about 11 a.m., then placed a 1 p.m. embargo on it. No reason given. Then, The Golf Channel sends out e-mails announcing a live news conference at 1 p.m. No subject given. Tune it at 1 p.m., and they're televising the LPGA commissioner announcement from the LPGA Daytona Beach office. Found out later no other news organization had been invited: not even the Daytona Beach paper or Orlando. Only media in the room is Golf Channel.
    Screw them. I'd love for them to try an embargo again. Guess what: 2 minutes after I get it, it's online.

Draft saved Draft deleted