1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resistance Journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 19, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

New NYT media critic Ben Smith took aim at some of Ronan Farrow's reporting:

Is Ronan Farrow Too Good to Be True?

He also coined a term that I think it's pretty clever: Resistance Journalism.

If reporters swim ably along with the tides of social media and produce damaging reporting about public figures most disliked by the loudest voices, the old rules of fairness and open-mindedness can seem more like impediments than essential journalistic imperatives.

Yep.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's a good piece and make a lot of excellent points, and the kicker is devastating.

Ben Smith is also an interesting messenger, considering what Buzzfeed did under his watch (publishing the Steele Dossier without so much as fact checking any of it, plus alleging that Trump instructed Cohen to lie to Congress).

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Dr. Reade’s accusations being proven probably false in recent weeks may be giving reporters second thoughts about prior sexual assault coverage. It is just a thought.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One of the bigger whiffs in recent journalism history. It's the first thing I think of when I hear Buzzfeed.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No one likes to kick the shit out of each other than more than journalists. Someone gets a scoop, look how many people try and crush it.

I can’t really say much about the quality of Farrow’s work other than he gave a voice to people who needed it. Lauer? We’re going give him a voice against Farrow? I know which side I’m on.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Did you read it? I have to say, Lauer makes a pretty good case, and I'm not someone who is inclined to take that side of something like this.

Ronan Farrow is kind of a fascinating guy, and I don't mean that in a necessarily positive way. I listened to his lengthy interview on Marc Maron's podcast. I went in not knowing anything about him other than the obvious Woody/Mia stuff. He's had a remarkable life. His resume reads like something from an absurd work of fiction. And the entire time, he struck me as a guy who sounded entirely full of shit.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Smith and Lauer pieces are worth reading.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Very fair. Of course, the entire discussion on the Russia reporting will be different in a few years, when Trump is out.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are some good points. One primary point is readers still need to read and decide for themselves. Farrow did nail two big stories though.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I did read it. It’s like a court case, right? There’s one side and then there’s the other. Where’s the truth? Somewhere in between. I’m more than willing to concede that Farrow’s background shapes his worldview, but that’s no different than anyone else.

The NY Times is asking me (and anyone else, really) to choose between Farrow and Lauer. Based on the credibility of the two on this particular issue, I don’t see a choice, really. Farrow’s done dogged work that proven to be accurate. Lauer?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It sounds like Mr. Farrow poorly misrepresented the actual worry of Hillary Clinton about Mr. Weinstein.

Draft saved Draft deleted