1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resin bag or rosin bag?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Jun 26, 2006.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Which is it? AP has resin bag in its story about the crazy minor league manager, but I always thought it was rosin. I can't find definitive evidence one way or the other.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Google search for both rosin bag and resin bag. Turns up both. Maybe it's either one, unless AP has its own preference in the style guide. Same as blinkers and blinders on horse. Same thing. One letter difference.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I went with resin, but only because on another thread here somebody said that's how it's done. As long as you're consistent, I guess...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Evidently, it's rosin.

From this site: http://experts.about.com/e/r/ro/Rosin.htm ... here's the difference between rosin and resin:

Resin, btw, is the actual secretion from "the plants, particularly coniferous trees. It is valued for its chemical constituents and uses such as varnishes and adhesives." Thus, rosin is actually made from resin.

So here's the answer you're looking for:

Research is fun. :)

5. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

Resin was what you smoked when you didn't have any more money for the good stuff in college.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I always pronounced it "rah-sin" (probably from hearing it on baseball broadcasts) but believed the correct spelling was resin.

However, I defer to Buck Weaver's research

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I just saw the clip.

what a great meltdown. particularly like the pouring of water on home plate and the slide.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I only saw it for the first time this morning, too. It was freakin' hilarious.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Stems first.

10. The outburst was fantastic. The only thing missing was a chance to see the manager's face as he did that belly flop into second. I would have loved to seen the expression there!

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Resin...there ain't no rosin...

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oops, embarrassed.

But hanging with resin bag. Maybe it's my old violin playing days.

Draft saved Draft deleted