1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Residents receive newspapers wrapped in Ku Klux Klan fliers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/printstory.cgi?News.200879-5313-041-041007.full+041

[​IMG]

The staff of The Oldham Era has learned several newspapers were dropped in driveways in Crestwood and Pewee Valley this week containing fliers for the Ku Klux Klan.

Readers reported to The Era that they received the newspapers, either dated June 26 or July 3, in their driveways Tuesday morning.

The Oldham Era was in no way involved with the distribution of these newspapers or the fliers attached to them, nor does it endorse the political views of the Ku Klux Klan.

Research online shows that it is a common practice of the KKK across the nation for members to take newspapers from newsstands across the county and distribute them with fliers promoting the organization.

The Era will file a police report after reviewing newsstand reports this week to determine if papers have been stolen from racks at vendor locations.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Oldham Era Publisher Julie Nelson Satterly at 222-7183 ext. 114 or e-mail her at editor@oldhamera.com.
    Copyright www.oldhamera.com. All rights reserved.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this was going to be another Tampa Tribune thread.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Police say that they have made no arrests but that the newspaper carrier who drives a volkswagon with a large swastika on the hood and confederate flag on the trunk is considered a "person of interest."

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We have to look for new and inventive ways to create ad revenue[/JanetCoats]
    Janet Coats is my hero[jessicaWhatsername]

5. Mizzougrad96

"When Janet suggested wrapping the Tribune with a KKK ad, I wanted to jump up and say, "You Go Girl!"

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You wanna get your money up front from the KKK, though. Those people will short sheet you.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think The Tampa Tribune should send the "lovely and talented" one to cover this story...

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

...It is a common practice of the KKK across the nation for members to take newspapers from newsstands across the county and distribute them with fliers promoting the organization.

And I'll just bet those KKK members put 50 cents into the racks for every newspaper they take, huh?...Yeah, riiight...

It makes me sick every time I see/read anything about this garbage dump of a group. I tend to be pretty nonjudgmental of people and am often a fence-sitter when it comes to causes. That's my nature to begin with, and I think my journalistic background has made me even more so, at least until I see what things are about.

But these idiots make my stomach turn. They have no real credence of their own.

Hmm...must be why they have to wrap their messages in newspapers.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe they do. Who would have thought, the KKK would be the way to save the newspaper business? ;)

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I have to admit, I did audibly chuckle when I read that.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Is this in addition to the new practice of post it note ads on the front page?

Draft saved Draft deleted