1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Research connects Alzheimer's to cold sore virus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 7, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

That's HSV-1 we're talking about. The one linked to most cases of genital herpes is HSV-2.

If antiviral agents could treat and possibly stop Alzheimer's ... damn. That would be a very, very good thing.
  2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Awesome stuff if it works.
  3. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

So does this mean if you frequently get cold sores, it could mean that when you get up there in age, you might suffer from Alzheimer's?
  4. Whoa.
    While I am very intrigued by this study - and likely will spend the day on Mr. Google proving it -- AD is a complicated little bastard to figure out. There's been some speculative talk about antivirals for a number of years now; they're drugs with which the drug companies are familiar, and which they already produce. If they're finding HSV in the plaques, that's interesting, but they key sentence comes later in that item when it is pointed out that the virus is present in a great number of elderly people's brains, but that the connection with beta-amyloid -- and therefore, with AD -- has to do with pre-existing genetic risk factors. You don't get AD from HSV. You get it from bad genes.
  5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I sure as hell hope not. If so, I know what I'm in for. If I get a cold, a few days afterward I ALWAYS have a cold sore under my nose. It's like freakin clockwork/Old Faithful/rising tides/etc. It's gonna happen.
  6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Isn't it hard to know in these cases if something is a cause or an effect?

In other words, people are susceptible to AD because they contracted HSV at some point in their lives...

People contracted HSV because having the AD gene made them susceptible to contracting HSV.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It may not matter if the relation helps in the diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer's.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would think it would be fairly easy to determine in these cases because you don't see a whole lot of old people suddenly sprouting up cold sores.

All a doctor would really have to do is ask the family (assuming the Alzheimer's patient can't remember) if the patient has been getting them for years.
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Blatant plug to my idol's book. Hard To Forget, An Alzheimer's Story by Charlie Pierce is not only a stunning look inside his relationship with his father, but a really intense look at the different schools of Alzheimer's research. There have been plenty of discoveries similar to this in terms of finding a connection, but there is still no cure.
Draft saved Draft deleted