1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rescue Me returns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Yea, I thought he was dead as soon as the blanket slumped down. But it made for a holy shit moment. :)

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good grief, i love lenny clarke.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Clarke was a big reason why I loved Leary's last show, The Job. Still pissed that was axed.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. Might have to bust out the DVD soon. Love the one where he gets locked in the bathroom.

I thought this season of Rescue Me started out a little slow, but came back strong with a good run. Cised for the final season.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Overall I was disappointed. Too much unbelievable stuff, starting with Colleen. There were moments of brilliance (Damien being a two pump chump, Needles going Youtube on FDNY among them) but all of the Leary family stuff just seemed so awkward. I understand some of the show is focused on Tommy's ongoing inability to keep his family life together, but come on, jumping on Sheila like he did a few weeks back? I suppose his personality is to sabotage that stuff, but the deliberateness he does that with borders on unbelievable.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Turning Damian into a veg ranks with the worst decisions in TV history.
    Very disappointing, all around.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I agree there. I found his character kind of annoying -- he had to be too snarky because he was such a wuss -- but his time as a veg was pretty good acting there. That took some chops and made for a far better storyline than the predictable he'll just die because everyone does storyline. The way it was handled though, eh. They swung and missed on this one.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I thought the actor playing Damian handled it great.
    Talking only about the story line, which allowed Sheila to veer (predictably) into some version of crazy and Tommy to veer (predictably) into some version of irresponsible and Janet to veer (predictable) into some version of, for lack of a better word, nag.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I like that this show doesn't always have a happy ending, but they go overboard in having bad things happy to Tommy.

His cousin dies, his son dies, his dad dies, his brother dies, and know his nephew (cousin's son) dies.

It's too much. It's not realistic.

The daughter being an alcoholic didn't work. Sheila hooking up with Mickey wasn't believable. And there wasn't enough laughs this season.

And if Janet aborts their child without telling Tommy, I'm going to be pissed. Will they just re-shoot the scene from the Godfather II? "It was a boy Tommy! A boy!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just caught up with the finale and I've been so bored with the last six or so eps, I didn't put the last scene together. Best part of the ep was the crew talking about Damien as "the ultimate wingman."
    I think the reason this season sucked was that they were filming two seasons this one and the one for next year. This year was mostly spinning wheels. (Not helped with losing Maura Tierney - figure they had to scrap an entire season-long plot line). Thought they would do more with the Peter Gallagher character, the storyline with the competing station during the closure crisis etc.
    Way too much Gavin and family. They just keep hitting it over the head.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm just catching up with the second half of season five on DVD. Oh, Christ. Hilarious. The whole 10-minute bit about Garrity's orange dick had me rolling.

That, and the initial discussion between Lou and Needles about having Franco fight a lesbian — especially the looks on their faces when the addition of weapons occurred to them — just priceless.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Somebody help me out, here. I don't have cable, have been depending on DVDs to follow the show. So, haven't seen any of Season 6 yet.

The one burning question in my head: How the hell is Teddy not in jail for shooting Tommy at the end of S5?

Answer me that, and then I can happily (or, at least comfortably) await the S6 DVD release.

Draft saved Draft deleted