1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rescue Me (Aug. 29 finale) spoilers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gingerbread, Aug 30, 2006.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Amazing, depressing finale. That last scene was brutal to watch.

The scene at the firefighters' memorial, however, was beautiful, and taken from a real conversation by a ladder company that had stopped to pay respects. I know a lot of NYC firefighters, and many of them seem as depressed and out of sorts five years later as they were a few months after Sept. 11. Post traumatic stress syndrome affects these people nearly as much as the physical trauma. (That there are government officials who won't admit bleeding out of the ears is a result of working for months on the pile, breathing in toxic fumes and body parts and god knows what else, is a disgrace.) In any event, if you happen to be visiting NY, I'd suggest stopping by the FF memorial near ground zero for a few seconds. There are people here who need to know they mattered.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Last scene was pretty brutal.

Thought she'd drive off.

One thing confuses me, though.

Didn't Tommy go to the basement, yet when she comes back inside, she drags him out of the living room upstairs?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Loved it. Of course, where was the ghost of his cousin to tell him that Sheila was drugging his ass again?

Things to look for next year...

Probie gives up dudes for good?

Garrity and his wife split, hopefully?

Lou and the nun, a continuing wtf?

Does Franco get his kid back?

Sheila go to the looney bin? That's a start. And what about Janet and the kids?

Finally, fuck, I gotta wait until next June to answer these and more? Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, he had started upstairs and then fell back down.

Great ending. The Chief Pecher scene had me in tears. "As far as I'm concerned, it's Chief Pussy. That's cee, with a puh."

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Lou and the nun continues next season...

6. part-timer

part-timer Member

Did anybody notice Chief Pecher's initials on the pocket of his shirt? B.G. Pecher. Man, Leary's such a teenager. Gotta love it!

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Pecher was Peter Tolan, co-creator of the show. Was in on an interview last week with the pair and they were laughing it up about his appearance. Apparently, the whole "What's your name, hotshot?" thing was an ad-lib.

Oh, yeah. And Sheila is a fucking nutjob.

8. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I miss this show already. Ugh nine months to wait.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

three syllables:

TREE-MEN-DOUS. 8) 8) 8)

;

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I loved it as much as anyone ... with the slight caveat that it took a little while to get moving last night. Once it did, tremendous.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Loved the opening scene, tho, with Tommy's visions going back in time at the firehouse. Seeing Jimmy interact with Lou? Priceless. Garrity and Franco as probies? Hi-larious.

And: "Instead of busting Mike's balls, I say we should applaud Mikey's balls."

Also: "So, you're saying we should be able to sleep with guys?"
    "Yeah, but who would want to do that, other than this little queer here?"

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Best scene for me was at the beginning, where Jimmy bets $10k that the Red Sox will in fact win the World Series in his lifetime. Thought for a sec he was right, then realized he didn't make it that long. Show is so well-written. There's a void in my TV-watching schedule for a long while.

I don't think Sheila can survive the fire. That much smoke, Tommy's going to a hospital (he dies, the show dies) and a tox screen is going to explain what happened. Hard to keep her around once Tommy knows what she did to him. Makes it easier for him to go back to the wife and kids, too ...

I'm a little nervous about Nip/Tuck. Last season was so down in comparison with the previous two years. They're ramping up the guest-star quotient for sure, but the plot is what scares me a bit ...

Draft saved Draft deleted