1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rescue At Sea

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I saw the headline Saturday afternoon. A father and son were dragged out to sea by the rip. Sounded grim. I didn't click the story. I can't stomach much gloom. But it was obvious what the outcome would be.

Drownings happen here once every few months. There are rescues daily, but most of those involve lifeguards scrambling into the surf. If the lifeguards can't find you, it's just a matter of days before a fisherman or beach-comber reports that a body washed ashore.

But that didn't happen this time.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/rescue090708.htm

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Great story.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The craziest quote came from the story from the day before when they went missing:

Oh, and were they floating on something or wearing life jackets or what? You can't just stay above surface for 13 hours in the ocean.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Here's an updated story: http://tinyurl.com/5n639j

To answer a question, they probably floated nearly the whole time. As a father of a young son, I can't imagine that experience. They were separated by about a mile. I can't imagine what went through that dad's head as he floated in that water all night. I don't know how many boats go out eight miles, either. My guess is not many.

Draft saved Draft deleted