1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Request for clips review

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by verbalkint, Jan 24, 2011.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

I have sort of an odd, involved request, but I thought maybe someone here might indulge me. (Where am I going with this...)

I had the best professional year of my life last year. Wrote about a dozen long features that I'm very proud of, and won an award. I think I'm getting pretty good, but I don't know how good. I usually go sour on my stories soon after they're in print, see only their flaws and limitations, and I can't really judge how good they actually are.

Several of my recent colleagues have springboarded from my paper to what are close to their dream jobs. I don't know how well they're holding up, or if it's permanent, but they're in the door. And if they are doing well, and I didn't feel they totally outclassed me, then I feel like I should start thinking about my next step.

So what I'm looking for is a second opinion. I'm asking for a serious judge of talent - preferably someone with years of editing and/or hiring experience - to take a quick but honest look through my best clips and tell me where I am, and where I should look for my next job. I need to do something that's in between 1) do nothing for my career future, which is what I'm doing now and 2) send off clips and resume to everyone I'd want to work for, and make David Remnick roll his eyes.

I don't think posting here and outing myself is the best idea, so if someone sees this and thinks they could help out, please PM me. You can do as much or as little as you want, and I'm in no hurry - if it takes a week until you get around to it, that's fine. I'd appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted