1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans pounce on HUGE gaffe by Obama!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 27, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My recollection is that similar sentiments were reported in print on a couple of occasions during the past ninety days . . . but they'd have to be googled up.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, look at the mileage they get over Obama not wearing a flag pin. 4,000 dead, thousands more wounded in a war that the president lied about, but Obama's not wearing his pin!

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yeah, the media's really in the tank for the Democrats.

Ask Al Gore or John Kerry about that one.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Ford said on the stump that "Things are more like they are now than at any time in history." Reagan mistook his own commerce secretary for a mayor at a national mayors' conference. Kerry called the home of the Green Bay Packers "Lambert Field." Al Gore misspoke about which FEMA officer he toured a Texas disaster site with.

The one who posted about the hectic travel of candidates and politicians, and that it's a wonder this doesn't happen more often are on the money, and it shouldn't be a big deal. You could find a list similar to the one Michelle Malkin compiled on Obama (thanks, Google) for just about any national candidate, I'd bet.

(Well, of course, the so-called liberal media turned the Gore-FEMA mistake into a criminal case, so I guess that's a bad example.)

McCain's Sunni-Shia mistake, however, is not a valid comparison. One, he made it multiple times; two, he repeatedly touts his national-security credentials and contends that it's Obama who does not have a clue about Iraq.

(McCain's recent interview -- reported uncritically by AP, by the way -- in which he offers to "educate" Obama on Iraq is nauseating coming from the guy who asserted the "military operation will be easy," apparently doesn't know who we are fighting, claims that the ability to stroll through a Baghdad market in a bulletproof vest with soldiers and Apache gunships in tow proves that the area is super-duper-safe and seems to believe that the war can be won by 2013 by wishing it so.)

Also, the mainstream media treatment of Sunni-Shia was hardly a firestorm, some explained it away by saying that "would be a bigger deal if the speaker had been different" or splicing video of one of the incidents to claim that McCain "quickly corrected himself."

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To me, this explains most of them. Not Selma, and not the 10000 dead in Kansas. Those reflect something troubling about him.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"jesus weeps" / Fenian Bastard

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you're gonna parse words in this amount of detail, you really need to have your ducks in a row. The people of Afghanistan are Afghans, or they are the Afghani people. The afghani is the currency of Afghanistan.

It would be the same thing as saying Americas when you mean Americans.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, you can remove one of those "gaffes." I've seen tape on the 57 states thing, and he was clearly goofing. As for Selma, I'm not all that concerned. For years I thought I knew the story of how my parents met. Only last year, telling someone about it at their anniversary party, did my mom overhear me and tell me I had it all wrong. The event I had them meeting at was actually their engagement. And considering that neither of his parents have been around to correct him -- and he was an infant at the time, without any recollection of it himself -- I cut him a break on that one.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Stop being so reasonable. There's no place for that here.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not me. It seems less innocent when it happens to fit with and be used for your personal \ political benefit. I misremember (loving that word) things all the time, but I still have a problem with Hillary's sniper fire tale. It points to a willingness to use anything as a hook to advance, even if you know its not true. The 10,000 dead one is even more glaring.

Most of the rest of them are nonsense though.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Yeah. you're really onto something there, Columbo. Obama was really hoping to make political hay by convincing us that 10,000 people died in a fucking tornado. I think the Emerald City then went 9-to-1 for him in the Oz primary.
    Or, he could have just had a brain cramp and misspoke.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

The thing is that none of this really matters. So Obama said 57 states. Maybe he meant that he'd gone from state to state and had visited states 57 times, some of them twice. Or maybe he just misspoke.

I don't think he was confused about how many states there are. But that's how the writer who comes up with these zingers makes it sound. She wants us to think that Obama is illiterate when that's just not true. He's more eloquent than she is. It'd be interesting to go back through her career and look at all the stupid shit she's said.

Draft saved Draft deleted