1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans pounce on HUGE gaffe by Obama!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 27, 2008.

1. Looks like spinning is trying to become the DNC-shill heir to F_B.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Somebody's got to keep thhings going around here. Plus, it's my offseason.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You really sure you want to start tallying the misstatements and spoonerisms and malapropisms and mispronunciations of politicians? Or maybe I'm just misunderestimating the consequences of doing so.

http://www.amazon.com/George-W-Bushisms-Accidental-President/dp/0743222229

ps: no such thing as "honing in on" something.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Spinning -- be better

5. jgmacg - so Obama hasn't even reached the general election campaign cycle and you're comparing him to someone some on this board refer to Chimpy? I guess Obama can't be that smart now can he?

6. I'm also sure that Bush knows how many states are in the United States.

Do you?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No doubt one of the reasons he'll be held in such high esteem by your theoretical historians of our distant future.

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

That's pathetic. I grow more confident in Obama's chances every day.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree on some, just as I think most of the Bushisms are just silly and meaningless. I'm bothered by the first one and the one about Selma.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

63... for crying out loud, everybody knows that!

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Just happened to flip by Glenn Beck and Ben Stein screaming - "Where's the media on this story???!!!! The Clintons should be outraged!!!"

I want to puke.

When we're in a war and the dollar is tanking and home sales are half of what they were a year ago at this time, it really amazes me and proves how scared shitless the Republicans are to run against Obama. Their whole general election strategy was built around Hillary's negatives and now they are in full panic mode.

And to answer Beck's question - I hope this time around the media is smart enough not to cover these non-stories unlike 2000 when Al Gore's facial expressions was all they could talk about. Lots of good their journalistic service did with that one.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't have time, nor the interest, in researching every chunk of text someone copies and pastes from a National Review story, but this is what Snopes says about the Selma issue:

"Obama told his audience that, because some folks had the courage to "march across a bridge" in Selma, Alabama, his mother, a white woman from Kansas, and his father, a black Muslim from Africa, took heart. It gave them the courage to get married and have a child. The problem with that characterization is that Barack Obama, Jr. was born on August 4, 1961, while the first of three marches across that bridge in Selma didn't occur until March 7, 1965, at least five years after Obama's parents met.
    Senator Obama might be considered guilty of engaging in little pandering here by trying to imply a direct line between the 1965 Selma, Alabama, marches and his personal background (since he was speaking in Selma at the time). However, the tenor of his speech was how the overall growth and progress of the Civil Rights movement affected the outlook of blacks (including his family), both in the U.S. and abroad. That movement did not start with the 1965 marches in Selma; it was a process that began and grew across the years, including among its landmark events the 1955-56 bus boycott in Montgomery (which occurred several years before Barack Obama was born, and before his father left Africa for the U.S.) and the 1963 anti-segregation protests in Birmingham — all of which (along with the Selma marches) took place in Alabama, and all of which were referenced by Senator Obama in his speech that day:
    Yet something happened back here in Selma, Alabama. Something happened in Birmingham that sent out what Bobby Kennedy called, "Ripples of hope all around the world." Something happened when a bunch of women decided they were going to walk instead of ride the bus after a long day of doing somebody else's laundry, looking after somebody else's children. When men who had PhD's decided that's enough and we're going to stand up for our dignity. That sent a shout across oceans so that my grandfather began to imagine something different for his son. His son, who grew up herding goats in a small village in Africa could suddenly set his sights a little higher and believe that maybe a black man in this world had a chance.

What happened in Selma, Alabama and Birmingham also stirred the conscience of the nation."

Draft saved Draft deleted