1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans pounce on HUGE gaffe by Obama!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 27, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Obama told a story about a great-uncle who helped liberate Auschwitz.

Whoops! It was actually Buchenwald.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gNkvSiSauxhPfxU7ZoayuBKSA8GgD90U7S4G4

Here's the damning Fox link: http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/27/recollection-of-obama-familys-service-missing-key-details/

The RNC is giddy over its discovery: “Barack Obama’s dubious claim is inconsistent with world history and demands an explanation. It was Soviet troops that liberated Auschwitz, so unless his uncle was serving in the Red Army, there’s no way Obama’s statement yesterday can be true. Obama’s frequent exaggerations and outright distortions raise questions about his judgment and his readiness to lead as commander in chief,” said RNC Press Secretary Alex Conant.

Seriously, people. We've got a war going on. A housing crisis. A crappy dollar. Rising oil prices.

This is the best the Republicans have got?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I didn't know Buchenwald was liberated by Muslims.

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Yes, I saw that story on CNN. I had to check the comments just to see whether anyone was buying the RNC's bullshit. Thankfully, they aren't. Almost every poster said it was quite a reach and a non-issue. That Wright thing got pretty hairy, but this is flat dumb. The RNC PR people who ran with this should be embarrassed.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That's the funny part about this "controversy." It actually sheds light on Obama's family background, which Republicans would much rather not come to light. They'd clearly prefer people to think he's a Muslim.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

At least he wasn't lying about his own "military" service. ::)

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This is just the tip of the ol' iceberg. The repubs will likely use anything at all, no matter how insignificant or prejudiced, to slander Obama.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This is clearly more egregious than McCain's Iranian/Al-Qaeda in Iraq/Sunni-Shia errors.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, I'm sure the comments on FNC are very different.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm sure the "Fair and Balanced" folks are giving this one a thorough vetting.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

What a trivial thing, shouldn't even be reported on.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So Obama is a commie black nationalist and a sleeper agent for Islamo-fascists? Amazing stuff. Didn't realize the RNC was such a stickler for details.

Draft saved Draft deleted