1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans In '08 -- Base Jumping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wow, a newbie with a sense of the board's history making an impassioned first post directed at a specific poster. I'm shocked.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

But surely Giuliani is a much preferable and palatable candidate for you than "Mother Clinton," as you referred to her. He is for public abortion, unlike her, so you are in agreement there with him on that, not her. And while you assert that he doesn't believe in the Bill of Rights, he actually doesn't have the voting record of Senator Clinton that provides the concrete evidence she doesn't believe in the Bill of Rights. For example, she voted for the Patriot Act in 2001 and its reauthorization in 2006. Your outrage must have known no bounds (although all of the threads you started condemning her have somehow gotten eaten by the search function). Surely she's at least as much of an SOB--if not a bigger SOB since she has the actual voting record, not him--and you don't want her anywhere near federal law-enforcement power either, right?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The take I heard this morning is a lot of rich LDS members in Utah — the Marriotts, the Huntsmans, etc. — are going all-in behind Mitt, which is puffing up his early bank account. Plus, a lot of his financier buddies are chipping in big-time. Thus, his support is very narrow, but pretty deep. Don't know how long it'll last him, but it should get him to Iowa.

4. I believe that, given his track record in how he USED executive power when he actually had it, he is infinitely more dangerous than somebody who voted for congressional acts with which I fundamentally disagree. And, no, Mother Clinton is not Choice One, either, but I know what kind of president Giuliani will be, based on his mayoralty in NYC and his career as a federal prosecutor.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's infinitely more dangerous than the Senator who voted to authorize the war in Iraq--the greatest wrong you are looking to right? (just adding to the scorecard... public abortion, patriot act, war in Iraq [which Giuliani supports, although he doesn't have the vote Mrs. Clinton does]... I can keep going)...

Surely you could never under any circumstances vote for the woman who voted for the war you despise and now is pandering to a political base (something you've said you despise) by trying to gloss over and lie about what she did.

I understand that you are not in Giuliani's corner--you said under no circumstances could you vote for an SOB like him. But the reasons you are against his candidacy certainly mean that you could NEVER, under any circumstances vote for Senator Clinton, whose actual record as a Federal legislator makes her at least as big an SOB--to most people her record would suggest she's a bigger SOB using your measuring sticks--as he is, right?

6. Oh, no.
    You'l find no audience for your Jedi mind-tricks here.
    1) HRC is not "pandering to the antiwar base." She is, in fact, resolutely declining to do so, hence all the foofaraw about her not apologizing for her vote. The "antiwar" base -- estimated to be 70 percent of the country in the latest poll. by the way -- is beating the hell out of her on that very issue; "If I knew then what I know now," is not cutting it with them. She is not, for example, doing what Mitt Romney is doing -- ridiculously -- on half-a-dozen issues on which he's taken conspicuously public stands. ("I'm better than Ted Kennedy on gay issues.") It was Mitt about whom this thread began.
    2) There is a profound difference between extrapolating what someone might do as chief executive based on their legislative record, and extrapolating what someone might do as chief executive based on their record as a, you know, chief executive. Hence, Giuliani's tawdry alliance with the worst instincts of the NYPD, his promotion of good buddy Bernie Kerik, his cowboy prosecutorial style, and the rest of it scare me more about him as president than any vote HRC may have cast. (Actually, I distrust her more for glomming onto anti-flag-burning amendments and the censorship of popular culture.)
    3) Since we're going to get around to this sooner or later, yes, as the field is presently constituted, I would vote for any Democratic politician ahead of any Republican politician because the Republican party has enthralled itself to its worst, most authoritarian instincts for the past 20 years and the bill is now coming due, paid in wreckage. They ran the whole show for six years, and the disasters are becoming too numerous to mention. Until the GOP pries the hands of the extremists off the throttle, that likely will remain the case.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Right on dude. Like, we're all waiting for FenPhen's endorsement before making up our minds.

I hope you're not right on the cycle, though it's true that it happens. Eight years of liberalism would, I'm afraid, send this country into the toilet. Their smell makes them think it's there now, but when you're pulling the country in the direction they want to, you're already swimming in shit.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

Count me as officially on board the "Fenian pic posting is good" train.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

How are you defining this 70 percent?

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Governor Huntsman has endorsed ... McCain.

11. Explication, pls.
    Here's one way, at least.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postpoll_022607.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted