1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans In '08 -- Base Jumping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 7, 2007.

1. http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003568720

That a rich, handsome, relatively successful governor of a northern state still feels he has to pander this gracelessly to an extremist "base" that's already taken the party over the cliff in one election seems to me to be an indication of a party in some turmoil.
    Jesus, Mitt. Give it up.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wait...the gun lobby "has taken the (Republican) party over the cliff?"

And pandering to gun enthusiasts is nothing new, though it's rare for any candidate to do it as incompetently as Romney. Of course, he was a no-hoper from the start, though for some reason people felt the need to pretend he had a chance.

[​IMG]

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

romney has raised $21 million this year. anyone who says he doesn't have a chance is delusional. calling him a "no hoper" is absurd.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Isn't a Republican who won in New England pretty much their wet dream?

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

No, a Republican who can carry the South, California and New York is their wet dream. Likewise the Democrats.

6. Mighty_Wingman

A Republican who can win is the dream, one assumes.

And leo, last time I checked, electoral votes weren't handed out during the first quarter of early fundraising season. Romney's at his high-water mark. I'd be surprised if anyone on the Republican side seriously believes he has a chance to be the party's nominee, though it would certainly be a treat for the Dems.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Yeah, because the Republicans are the only ones pandering.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Posting photo op pictures of Kerry with a gun? what a gas!

He carried a gun in Vietnam. Got shrapnel too. How about Mitt? Guiliani? W? Dick? Rummie? Rush? Delay?

How about I shot my boy Blue in the face Cheney?

Republicans are the greatest Shaman in history! Play the part, Cowboy PResident who whose intellectual incuriousity has got us bogged down four years after Mission Accomplished with no end in sight.

Will Mitt campaign with W in Oct. 2008?

Cowards the lot of ya. Criticizing Kerry for a photo op. Get real.

Matt Dowd, W's pollboy, said the Lt. was dead on about Iraq. What's W's exit strategy for Iraq? Just admit he's running out the clock, sending more of our bravest to Arlington, and passing the buck to Bill Richardson.

W failed to strike oil in Texas, his Saudi buddies bailed him out. W's yella belly was exposed during the Vietnam War, his daddy got him in the champagne airforce training on an obsolete plane.

SOS.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Wow.

Just so you know, I think you might have missed my point.

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Yeah, that base that believes in small government, low taxes and gun rights. Extremists to the hilt. They carried Reagan down the slippery slope to hell, didn't they?

11. Gee, 1984 was fun.
    Guys, you both know what I'm talking about -- the marginal, theocratic Southern base of the party has hijacked the whole schmear, and it no longer sells nationwide. Now, the fact that it locked in behind a feckless incompetent and his evil VP has something to do with it, but it also has to do with the whipping on Social Security, the Schiavo fiasco, the Katrina debacle, and everything that's come out since the 2006 midterms. By all rational measures, Romney ought to be able to run nationally as the Mitt he ran as in Massachusetts. But he can't get the nomination doing that, and everyone knows it. So he has to tie himself in these kind of knots ON EVERY ISSUE -- check out the YouTube when he ran against EMK for the Senate -- just to get midway through the process. That's a problem for the eventual nominee. And anyone who can look at this administration and maintain that it has represented "small government" is on mushrooms.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Fenian, great thread title. And an appropriate one too. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted