1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans for Hillary a growing movement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I still see a catastrophe for the GOP in the fall. Abandonment of McCain by the knuckledraggers and the Jeebocrats as they gear up for the next round. Congressional re-elect numbers down the john. Couple State Houses switching hands.
    The brand. The brand. It is damaged by these crazy people.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Unless of course the Republicans can get enough "red" states to put anti-abortion and anti-gay measures on the ballot in November where the evangelical base will turn out in force to vote on those issues and cast a vote for McCain while they're at it.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't see it after a summer of hate for the democrat party. I recall you were predicting the same in 2004.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Not with an unpopular war going on, $4 a gallon gas and an economy spiraling around the toilet. There are too many real issues going on. You can't just say "Look, men kissing each other!" and get votes. Plus, McCain doesn't seem to me like he would be comfortable running a campaign centered around gays, guns and abortion.

5. Wow, I didn't realize the election was today. I guess I should have voted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Thanks in large part to the GOP nominating the worst, absolute worst possible candidate for that seat.

Never underestimate the power of the Illinois GOP to fuck something up.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I am not going to argue with you there.

I dug into the ice cream man a bit after the Keyes debacle, and a bit more heading up to this election.

Egads.

Still, the RCCC dumped a bunch of money in, McCain came in for a fund-raiser and a rally, and it just didn't matter.

8. A stronger candidate probably would have kept that seat for the GOP, even this year. Hell, the guy Oberweis beat probably would have done it.

Now they have to figure out how to get him to get out of the race before the general election, but I'll be surprised if it happens.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Some of you guys really think McCain will win Illinois against Clinton?

You wanna give him New York and Masachusetts, too?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

GOPpers are crossing the lines for a few reasons ...
    1. Many states have an open primary, and the GOP nomination is sewn up.
    2. Why not pick the candidate on the other side that you can most easily beat ... Dems aren't exactly innocent of it, either. A lot of McCain's support in 2000 came from crossover Dem voters.
    3. Most Dems would say "none of the above" would be the best Republican on the ballot ... most GOPers feel the same way about the Dems. A Hillary primary victory would do one of two things ... 1) make the Dems more beatable in November, and 2) if Hillary does win, she'll be as divisive as GWB while being twice as shrill and annoying, and likely be vulnerable -- and make her party more vulnerable -- in 2010 and 2012.

Not only that, but as annoying, shrill and despised as Hillary is to the right, she still doesn't lean as far to the left as Obama, so she is slightly more palatable to most Republicans on policy in a "hold-your-nose" election where most Republicans really don't like any of the candidates, including their own.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the African-American vote stays home she's cooked in Illinois.

But no, I wouldn't give him NY or Massachusetts.

But he wouldn't need them anyway.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How is Clinton going to get the nomination?

She. Is. Behind.

And it's becoming increasingly clear that any strategy that garners her the nomination will divide the Democrats in a particularly ugly fashion.

Print her out a copy that map and she can take it with her to the next meeting of the "I was president before I wasn't" club, along with Mondale, Dukakis, Gore and Kerry.

And somebody check Fenian's meds. He's gone around the bend.

Draft saved Draft deleted