1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican debate thread 9/16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm watching the GOP staging an intervention on itself. Entertaining in a weird way - but also uncomfortable.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jesus, and somebody was worried about ME getting this thread locked?

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know about being excited about anybody, but I thought Marco Rubio and Carly Fiorina were the best of the group, and Chris Christie also looked/sounded strong.

It was noticeable, too, that, the deeper the debate went into the real issues, the less everyone saw and heard of Donald Trump. :)

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Had the sound off at work, but the Internet tells me that Fiorina had a good night. Anyone but Trump. This country doesn't need another president who is out of his element. He especially needs to take his autism-vaccine talk and go away. His 15 minutes need to end soon.

old_tony and SnarkShark like this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

OK. Let me know where, since you've been there before.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The $10 bill question was pretty dumb, but it became even dumber when Huckabee and Carson said they'd put family members on the bill. Jeb suggesting Margaret Thatcher and Kasich picking Mother Teresa were probably worse, but not as self-centered.

Huckabee's "so she can spend her own money" line was cringe-worthy.

7. SnarkShark

I have been hoping for someone to emerge as an alternative to Hillary Clinton, if she were to get the Democratic nomination, and I've crossed off a few after tonight.

• Trump: Can't vote for a guy who thinks Autism is caused by vaccines and can't trust him with diplomacy with his complete lack of self control when facing criticism.
    • Christie: Can't vote for a guy who is going to crack down on marijuana. The fight is over, just accept it.
    • Huckabee: Can't vote for a guy who can't grasp the separation of Church and State.
    • Rubio/Walker/Cruz: Can't vote for guys who can't see the forest for the trees on climate change. Not willing to at least try to save civilization as we know because it might cause short-term job loss? Fuck off.
    • Carson: Can't vote for a guy who thinks being gay is a choice because of prison sex.

That leaves Fiorina, Bush, Kasich, and Paul (even though he has no chance).

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You can put Fiorina and Kasich in the no chance category, too.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Kasich is running to be the VP pick. With him being governor of Ohio, he'll probably have to do a lot worse to take him out of that competition.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

I disagree. Fiorina now has two straight debates on her resume where her performance was the biggest takeaway.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking her debate performances. I just don't think she'll get enough support to rise above single digits. I don't see Trump staying on top forever as he's too much of a gadfly. My prediction is Bush and I've thought that since the beginning.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I like her. I really do. I just don't know how someone can make a Presidential election the first election they've ever won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.